What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 German concrete grenades

roller63

Premium Member
Hi again Guys, I was moving some of my collection in boxes when I saw these items on their own, three German WW2 concrete emergency or \"ersatz\" grenades (hope I have spelled that correctly) I am not going to go into great detail about them here for two reasons, firstly all I know about them is what I have read on the net, and secondly, if you got to Lex's website and go to German grenades, he has good photos and descriptions.
If you look closely, you can see rusty patches on the items, which must be bits of scrap metal to give a fragmentation effect. The small cylinder grende is missing its top cover and pull-igniter (rusted away) and the one with the solid stick should have a wooden plug with a pull igniter in it, I do have it somewhere ! Tony.
MVC_301S.JPG

I have no reason to suspect that the wooden parts of these grenades are repros, but as always with this type of item, it's a possibilty. The solid stick is marked: K&G 45 and has 44 written in ink on the top, visible from inside. The grenade with the carved-out stick appears to have traces of dark green paint on it, but this could also be some kind of grime. Tony.

The following info and picture is from Lex,s website..They show another type of concrete grenade,,ive posted this as i actually found one of these on a clearance job here in the UK(name of site witheld,the area was used for disposal of all sorts of odd stuff),at the time i didnt know what it was and it got scrapped,a few weeks later i saw one on Lex,s site and have been kicking myself since

Following text and pictures from lex.s site

This concrete improvisation was found in Poland near Breslau. It's body is about the same size as a normal Eihandgranate 39. Filling is unknown, I guess it had a normal BZ39 or BZ40 fitted.

Length: 75mm, Diameter: 58mm. Empty weight: 250gram

img1663cols2.jpg

Great items chaps!

i will post a pic of my one this weekend when ive time(its callout rota for me:( )

cheers

waff

Happy Chritmas all ,, Here is a ww1 1913/15 Kugalkopft Lever Stick Grenade,
When you see how complex this was compared to the concete grenade, makes you kinda
wonder if you swopped the dates around would any body notice.:laugh:

Nice grenade. I have the standard side lever version with the sheet steel head. If you think about the mechanism on these, they are over complex compared to the usual friction ignition, pull string models.

Thanks Roller,, I also have a can version, The ingition system on these is ,,er ,,well somwhate complex. I have quite a few
with complete but inert fuses ( Zunder )intact. I'll post a few piccs when i get a mo. in the meantime this diag should do.
Taken from the book, German Grenades Of The Great War by Patrice Delhomme.

Kopie__a.jpg
Kopie__a.jpg
Hallo!
Die ersten Granaten sind Behelshandgranaten Beton.
Als Anlage das Datenblatt und Bilder.

Gru Joerg