What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disarming method on a German bomb

kz11gr

hello

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23491214-details/Tube+bomb+still+a+danger/article.do

News

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/stand...Lenders+sign+up+for+jobless+scheme/article.do
11b_06_bomb_415x275.jpg
Trench warfare: Army experts are using steam as they seek to turn the explosive inside the Second World War bomb in Bromley-by-Bow into a safe liquid

Tube bomb still a danger

Rashid Razaq and Anna Davis
Look here too

A painstaking operation to disarm a German bomb that is threatening east London was continuing today.
Army experts working to disarm the 2,000lb UXB faced delays after discovering metal used to make the Second World War device was thicker than expected.
This morning, however, military engineers managed to cut through the casing of the bomb, which measures 5ft by 2ft, enabling them to begin "steaming" the explosive inside to make it safe.
Commuters faced the prospect of more Tube chaos, however, as lines near the danger area were closed.
The bomb, which is lying on a gas main just 50 yards from the main sewage pump for east London, was unearthed by a mechanical digger on Monday in the banks of the Lea in Bromley-by-Bow near the Olympic site. Construction workers made the discovery while widening the bank to take barges for the 2012 Games village construction.
It had lain dormant there for more than 60 years.
The Army encased the bombin a sand and wood "igloo" to contain a blast should it go off. It started to tick and ooze liquid when experts tried to disarm it. One Royal Engineer was sent back repeatedly to the ticking device to "freeze it" by pouring a salt solution on to it. He used a powerful magnet to stop its timer.
Workers from nearby offices - including a film studio - were evacuated yesterday.
The District and Hammersmith and City lines between Whitechapel and Plaistow, which were closed last night, will not reopen until the bomb is defused.
The C2C line to and from Fenchurch Street was operating limited services today and rush-hour trains were crammed with delayed passengers. Harassed rail staff were besieged with questions over timetable changes.
Jeremy Hodges, a 33-year-old London Underground operation manager, said: "I come in from Laindon but all the local services that start there were cancelled. I couldn't get on the first two through trains that had started in Shoeburyness because they were jampacked. I just managed to get on the third and I'm 45 minutes late for work." Ben Griffiths, a 28-year-old advertising executive, said: "I'm really late for a TV shoot in Upminster. The scheduled departure from here didn't leave at the time we expected and now we have to spend 45 minutes getting a Tube or grab a taxi."
Maria Donald, a 30-year-old trainee fitness instructor, was distraught because she was going to miss a key test for her fitness diploma. She said: "I didn't realise there would still be so much disruption this morning. My exam is going to be over by the time I get there."
Lynn Lambart, a 47-year-old secretary from Basildon, said: "Today I got the 9.15. You couldn't get a seat for love nor money, people were squished right up against each other."
One staff member said: "There have been a lot of angry, confused people here this morning. It's difficult when people's travels arrangements are mucked up and they don't understand."

Attachments

• bomblondon.jpg
    bomblondon.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 20
Bomb

If I didn't know better,I'd say the nose is missing. Any comments.
John

Hi

-----------------

Why do they operate like this , when it's simply possible to withdraw the big backdoor that we see on the picture, and common on every german bomb .