What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SD1 Bomblet German WW2

Hi,

Almost every bomber, Height i don't know, when mother bombs opens up they fall out, against personel.

Hoop this helps Mad B)

Hello everybody,

you speak always about the german SD 1 but I have another question.

What's the original colour scheme of the french SD 1 ( SD1(f) ) ?

Yoda

I have one in original color, an yellowish tone - I recall in some documents it's called "Mustard color", with black stencils over. I also have one training version which is red, but the paint is well worn in it.

I have one in original color, an yellowish tone - I recall in some documents it's called "Mustard color", with black stencils over. I also have one training version which is red, but the paint is well worn in it.

Thanks for your answer, Tmine35,
Should you perhaps have colour pictures of your SD1 (f) ?
What kind of text was stenciled on it ?

Yoda

I'll try a bit later. I'm not sure how good the tone comes up as we don't have proper daylight here in north for the moment. Stencils are not very well visible, they are just series of numbers and letters telling not much to me.

Bonjour Yodamaster

http://www.millsgrenades.co.uk/germanbombs.htm

sd1frz.JPG

Here my French SD1's. I would say the yellow tone is not this bright in nature but rather a bit brownish. In the training version is only some flakes of paint remaining, the red top layer is very thin and I'm not fully sure if its paint or rust? below the flakes is again yellow color when scratched.

Attachments

• SD1(f).jpg
    SD1(f).jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 67
  • SD1(f)-2.jpg
    SD1(f)-2.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 51
Great thanks, Tmine35,
your pictures are very helpfull, we've found the appropriate colour (what you said : musterd yellow).
We are only looking on a french marking, because we have found a pure french SD1 (f) with a french fuze (actually, I miss the correct designation, 23/29 something). All the french SD 1 I saw are fitted with german AZ73B.
Our SD1 (f) is actually in restoration, I'll try to take a picture of it before restorating and another after.

Great thanks, kz11gr, it's a beautiful german SD1(f). Also very helpfull.

Yoda

Little question ,
I'm again ther with my SD1 (Frz) problem.
I known, it's often compared on a 50 mm mortar, but it appeared it was also a submunition of the french air force before the war.
Is that correct ? And if yes, what was the designation of this french bomb ?

Yoda

Hi:
The stencils on the Reino one look like French stencils, Germans just changed the fuzes for drop them from the air, Im pretty sure that in its French origin they were mortar shells due to the use of the same fuze than the other French mortars, but it is true that the tail has not vent holes like all the other mortars, good question Yoda, good question. I post some pics of mine, French origin and German reuse. I was very happy when I found the original French one, the German reused are not very difficult to find, but an original untouched French, I never have seen one before and I paid very little for it.

Attachments

• IMG_3999.jpg
    IMG_3999.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4000.jpg
    IMG_4000.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4001.jpg
    IMG_4001.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4002.jpg
    IMG_4002.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
SD 1 (frz.)

Just to add this:

CIMG0901.jpg an (empty) SD 1 (frz.) with AZ (73) B 2 (the latter manufactured by jjm - Dentel AG, Saverne/Alsace),

CIMG0903.jpg since October 1944 in (experimental?) use as SD.Mine 4931 with a SF 5.

Hi everybody,
After some research, I must apologize for my mistake ! :sad:
It is not a SD1 (f), but a french "grenade d'aviation M.A.C. 50 mm".
This grenade was in 1940 capture by the germans and modified to SD 1 (f).
I'll open a new thread for this french grenade, with pictures (as find and before painting!).
This grenade does not belong to me and is part of the heritage of our unity.

:tinysmile_cry_t4:

Yoda

So it is a bomb and not a mortar? And with the same fuze than them mortars. Please post a link in this thread to your new thread.