What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SD1 Bomblet German WW2

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
This is the German WW2 1Kg SD1 Bomblet.Please feel free to add more info and pictures .The following Information was provided by Ammodillo in a now deleted previous topic on the SD1
"In the beginning the SD-1 was a 1 Kg mortar round/bomb that is adapted to submunitions/bomblets for disturbing road convoys.
there are only two documented basic types of the SD-1 bomblet.
That is the Frz (Franzosisch) that means French, and the Standard German SD-1.
For recognition purposes there is a significant difference in meassurements (length) and the fuze threading used. The French SD-1 has very fine thread where the German SD-1 has 'normal' thread to receive the AZ73 fuzes.

SD1.jpg

The stamped body markings
again thank you ammodillo for decifering
mrn stands for:
Freitag & Co. K.-G.
Schloss-und Metallwarenfabrik, Velbert Rheinland

SD1_Markings.jpg

Following info and cutaways by PZGR40

Cutaway models of three types SD1 Spreng Dickenwand, Explosive Thick walled) clusterbomb and a practice SD1 bomb.
The SD1 is a 1 kg clusterbomb, carried in so called AB containers (Abwurf Behlter, ejected container) . 392 SD1 clusterbombs are contained in the AB500-1 container, 224 in the AB250-2 and 50 in the AB70-D1 container.
Left on the picture is the SD1 b; a cast mixture of concrete and steel schrapnel, mixed in such a way that the weight of the bomb is identical with the live bomb. The tail is made of pressed sheet steel. The entire bomb is painted red. It does not contain any (smoke)marker to observe the place of impact.

Second from left: The SD1. It has a cast iron body, normally used for 5cm mortar shells. The bomb has a sheet metal tail, which is held in place with a pressed sheet steel ring. The explosive content exists of cast TNT. The bomb is fuzed with the mechanical impact fuze AZ73 or AZ73A , the difference between the fuzes is in small details. The fuze body is made of cast zinc, the firing pin is made of steel, it has more or less the form of a thumbnail. Functioning of the fuze: In the AB container, packing of the bombs is nose into tail, so the tail of the after placed bomb protects the fuze of the bomb before it, and so on ( the bombs are placed fuze backward in the AB container). At impact the disc of the "thumbnail is pushed inward, pushing the firing pin into the firing cap. It explodes, on it's turn igniting the gaine which explodes the main charge. There are no safety devices on this fuze.

Second from right: a SD1 with a prefragmentated inner body, in contrast to the prior one mentioned that has a smooth inner body. For the rest, all the data are the same. Total weight of bomb: 2 Lbs (1 kg) , total length: 6,7 "(170mm) Body diameter: 2,0" (50mm).

Right: The SD1(f), based on the french 5 cm mortar shell body. The fuze is the AZ 73B, an impact fuze that has only a shear wire as safety device. On impact the firing pin is driven inward, igniting the firing cap (red) that ignites the Gaine. Total weight: 520 grams, length: 130mm, Diameter :50mm. The explosive charge exists of 60 grams FP02.

Regards , Pzgr40.

4xSD1.JPG

sd1_041.jpg
Could anyone tell me what colour SD1's were originally painted, I have just bought one that i am quite chuffed with and am not sure if this milky coffee colour is paint or rust see close ups.
I would like to repaint to former glory any comments neg or pos very welcome

DAZ

Thanks spotter it looks shite I dont know whever to repaint it or not it looks better in the pictures than real life the mechanical condition is great though.

I'll try and gently clean it see what it looks like i am used to rows of shiny brass shells and this sundried dogturd look is new to me were they made roughly to start with.
I helped a friend clean out a soviet T34/85mm that the yugoslavian army had used after the war and couldnt believe how roughly made they were it was full of wine bottles ,drug needles , beer cans and 3" thick with cigarette ends in the bottom yuck.
Not as bad as the italian WW2 tank that we had to wear suits and respi's to remove the flakey asbestos out of.
Ta DAZ

Yup,best to leave as much original paint as possible.
I nearly stripped and repainted my 105 german proj until my mate Mick went nuts!:laugh:
btw
nice pickup with the SD1

waff

Leave it as it is . Do NOT repaint. A SD-1 in that paint condition is to be seen as near perfect condition.

sd1_043.jpg
crikey thats alot of them used,i have some questions ,

What aircraft used them
What height were they dropped from
How did they deploy from the mother bomb
What were they effective against

Heres it cleaned up a bit.