What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British Incendiarys WW2

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
Ill start this off by adding sectioned drawings o various British incendiary bombs used during WW2 .Feel free to add more photos and other information

4lb_incen_mkiii.jpg

The British 4 lb Incendiary was adopted by the USAAF in WW2 as the AN-M50 series and AN-M54 series 4 lb and later AN-M69 6 lb Incendiaries. They were used in vast quantities over Japan.

eodda

Perhaps this is interesting for the topic.

A color drawing of R.A.F. 4 lbs I.B made by U.N.P.A. of Milan, around late 1940 - beginning of 1941.

U.N.P.A. means "Unione Nazionale Protezione Antiaerea", and was the most known italian organisation for the passive protection against the dangers caused by air bombing. (an organisation like the german "Luftshutz").

Andrea

Attachments

• I.b.jpg
    I.b.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 101
a sectioned british Incendiary and a complete one less tails

Attachments

• British Inc bombs cutaway 001.jpg
    British Inc bombs cutaway 001.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 65
  • British Inc bombs cutaway 002.jpg
    British Inc bombs cutaway 002.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited by a moderator:
Why were the 4lb Incendiaries hexagonal? Was there any particular reason or was magnesium alloy hex bar just what was available at the time?

They were that shape to enable more to be packed , into the container.
Its interesting to note that British incendiaries , fuzes are just below the tail , and burn downwards where as the German ones burn upwoods , the fuze being in the nose!