What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RUSSIAN AMMUNITION DESIGNATIONS

eodda

HONOURED MEMBER
Ordnance approved
Can anyone help? Russian projectiles and complete rounds are designated 3xxx-xx e.g. the 100 mm BM-25 APFDS projectile is correctly desiganted (I think) 3BM-25 and the complete round (projectile plus propelling charge) is designated 3UBM-11. My question is this: is the "3" really a number three or is it a Western transliteration of the Russian letter "Zh" which when written in Cyrllic script, also looks like a "3"? I know that a lot of Russian equipment e.g. missiles, have part numbers/drawing numbers using combinations of numbers and letters - e.g. 9M114 for the 'Kokon' ATGW (NATO designated AT-6 'SPIRAL'). So in the case of ammunition, is it a number "3" or is it a transliteration of "Zh"? I've asked this question on other websites and have been told that it's a number 3, but I'm not convinced (mainly because I think - possibly completely wrongly - that it might be connected to the Russian word "Zharag" - 'charge'). I can't speak Russian but does anyone have a Russian document that can prove it to me once and for all?

Thanks

eodda

In cyrillic the E is exactly the same
as far as i know. In the word Maket the
E is written and spelled as E..

You should have official eod documents
that explain this (i have)?

The 3 i will have to check on later
this day..

EXCELLENT, Thanks Spott!
that's one of the docs i meant...

3 is described as incendiary

Spotter, Ammodillo

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, the link is useful but it still doesn't answer my original question - is it a "3" or is it a "Zh" in the ammunition desingation?

eodda