What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Royal Naval Ordnance Museum Gosport

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
The good news is that days after it was announced that the museum was to close for good at the end of April, the Royal Naval Historic Dockyard Trust has stepped in and agreed to take over the running of 'Explosions'. I don't know whether it will remain at Preddy's Hard or whether the contents will be moved to Portsmouth Dockyard. I will update if I find anything. Its a great place if you like naval guns, shells, mines, torpedoes, hedgehogs, squids, missiles etc

Attachments

• magmine.jpg
    magmine.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 30
  • nord.jpg
    nord.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 28
  • sc.jpg
    sc.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 27
  • shells.jpg
    shells.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 39
  • sq.jpg
    sq.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 29
apparentley they bought some of the surounding area as well so it may stay where it is

regards lee

as I understand it, the local council who were ceded the contents of the internal (not open to the public) naval ordnance collection, a) could not afford to fund the running of the museum which has, I believe, been losing money (probably due to their consultant inspired name 'Explosions' - which people, even in the area, mistake for a firework and music event!) and b) wanted to sell off the prime water front site to get some cash to erect a bronze statue in Gosport - probably to some Alderman who had a bright idea as to where to place the doggie poo bins. Hopefully, the name will be changed so that passers by and visitors will be better informed as to what it is all about. So if your credit hasn't crunched too much, get down there and spend a few s and several hours drooling over the contents - better take a bit of cloth to clean up afterwards! dave