Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
    Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks

Royal Naval Ordnance Museum Gosport

The good news is that days after it was announced that the museum was to close for good at the end of April, the Royal Naval Historic Dockyard Trust has stepped in and agreed to take over the running of 'Explosions'. I don't know whether it will remain at Preddy's Hard or whether the contents will be moved to Portsmouth Dockyard. I will update if I find anything. Its a great place if you like naval guns, shells, mines, torpedoes, hedgehogs, squids, missiles etc
    Attached Images Attached Images

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    apparentley they bought some of the surounding area as well so it may stay where it is

regards lee

BOCN Contributor
    Thanks
    What was the stated reason for closing it?
    "in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
    -- Harry Lime

FSA SCOT

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    as I understand it, the local council who were ceded the contents of the internal (not open to the public) naval ordnance collection, a) could not afford to fund the running of the museum which has, I believe, been losing money (probably due to their consultant inspired name 'Explosions' - which people, even in the area, mistake for a firework and music event!) and b) wanted to sell off the prime water front site to get some cash to erect a bronze statue in Gosport - probably to some Alderman who had a bright idea as to where to place the doggie poo bins. Hopefully, the name will be changed so that passers by and visitors will be better informed as to what it is all about. So if your credit hasn't crunched too much, get down there and spend a few ús and several hours drooling over the contents - better take a bit of cloth to clean up afterwards! dave