What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horchkiss wound case

Birdseye

BOCN Contributor
I picked this up in Baltimore. It is a relic condition wound Hotchkiss case for a 1.65" round.

The early Hotchkiss reounds had casings where the brass was wound on a form and somehow mystically made to stay together. A separate head was then affixed.

In the present example, the head has fallen off, the brass has cracked and had begun to unwind. Other than that, it is in mint condition;)

I just thought of something that is a bit of a poser.

I was under the impression that these early cases were all friction primed (see b/w drawing). This case appears to have the same internal configuration as the 2-piece percussion primed Frankford Arsenal Case (compare to the 4th picture).

So wound cases were percussion primed?

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_5436.jpg
    IMG_5436.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5437.JPG
    IMG_5437.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5441.jpg
    IMG_5441.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 28
  • inside FA Casing.jpg
    inside FA Casing.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Friction primed case.jpg
    Friction primed case.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 28
I gently cleaned the base of this casing and could not see any evidence of a primer pocket, whatsoever. That means that this case was friction primed.

Also came across the manufacturer's mark.

Original Paris manufacture.

Attachments

• IMG_5451.jpg
    IMG_5451.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 14
wound case

Very nice 'find' I would'nt mind some relics like this! I'm particularly looking for a 5.3cm one.
2pr

Very nice 'find' I would'nt mind some relics like this! I'm particularly looking for a 5.3cm one.
2pr

Actually it was a present. I had bought a number of good condition 1.65 rounds (in my never ceasing quest to figure out what the production details were) and the guy threw this in.

I am sort of thinking that maybe I ought to clean the powder out and clean off the crystallization but if I did, I might end up with a piece of wound tin foil, know what I mean?

Last edited:
Spiral wrapped casing

Here is an example of an early 1.65-inch Hotchkiss spiral wrapped friction primer casing. The PD nose fuzed common projectile is unmarked except for the Hotchkiss stamped emblem on the fuze tip.

Attachments

• P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 34
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 33
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 30