What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NO PRIMER ??

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
Just seen this cartridge on ebay it appears to have no primer,can anyone explain it ??
item no 370011311308
described as British USA 1.75" PC Mk2 Shell Case Casing 32.5mm Vase.

Brass necked 32.5 x 70.5 R dated 1951 shell case. Rare type! Depth charge thrower.

a40d_12.jpg

Educated guess - I believe that this is a cartridge for one of the later Hedgehog Spigot Mortars or similar Ahead Throwing Weapons. These were electrically fired, with the primer entering the case via the neck.

This was manufacterd by Barking Brassware Co. of Barking Essex (now swallowed up by ITT) who also made 20mm cases.

Tim. G.

Although there is plenty of information on Hedgehog and the like - the information regarding the cartridge etc., is scant to say the least. From the little I have found out the cartridge was composed of two parts 1) the metal case that is retained in the tube and 2) another piece that was consumed/destroyed/ejected on firing. This would appear to be cardboard or similar and the complete case would have the appearance of an oversize necked shotgun cartridge. The case as shown would appear to be correct and unaltered.

When the days get longer and warmer it is my intention to visit 'Explosion' at Portsmouth - and hopefully they'll some examples on display.

Regards

Tim. G.