What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12.7x80....50 Vickers

zwerge

It is headstamped K42..F1Z...is that AP ? Any info appreciated.Round is inert.

Attachments

• .50 Vickers.jpg
    .50 Vickers.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 67
  • .50 Vickers 2.jpg
    .50 Vickers 2.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 71
Your round was made at the kynoch Factories, Witton, Birmingham, England in 1942.

F = Semi AP I = Mark 1, Z = Nitrocellulose propellant as opposed to cordite. Semi AP is similar to AP but uses an un-hardened mild-steel core. Perforomance was found to be almost as good as AP and the cores were much cheaper to produce as there was no hardeneing process involved.

Nice find.

.5 Vickers

I have already posted this on the Gunboards site, but will repeat here for anyone interested.

The proj. in this round is wrong. It looks like a .50 Browning bullet has been stuck in the case, as the correct Vickers one is much shorter.

Regards
TonyE

comparisons

Heres a couple of pictures for comparison.

Also note that the "Vickers" uses Left Hand Rifling !

Attachments

• 50CAL Browning.JPG
    50CAL Browning.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 50VICKERS.2.JPG
    50VICKERS.2.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 42
Here is a picture of two .5 Vickers Drill D Mark I rounds (D.I and D.I*) that shows the shorter bullet and its position in the case compared with the round originally posted.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• Vickers1.jpg
    Vickers1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 30