What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would like to get an Id on this 75mm shell case owned by a friend.

Thanks for that Fert. Great photos of the gun.

I guess if the case my friend has was made in Germany for Italy before May 1915 when Italy were expected to come into the war on Germany's side if anything, that could explain why some shells were made in Germany. Someone else suggested it may have been made in Germany for Turkish or Bulgarian guns.

Those are all possibilities I suppose.

Much appreciated,
Chris

A friend of mine, in Melbourne, also has one of these. It is covered in Trench Art engraving. In his case date palms and the pyramids. Given your Kiwi mate also has one plus the Egyptian symbolism I'd suggest we need to be looking for an Ottoman version with the case recovered by early Anzacs

Thanks for that Fert. Great photos of the gun.

I guess if the case my friend has was made in Germany for Italy before May 1915 when Italy were expected to come into the war on Germany's side if anything, that could explain why some shells were made in Germany. Someone else suggested it may have been made in Germany for Turkish or Bulgarian guns.

Those are all possibilities I suppose.

Much appreciated,
Chris

Hi,

These are some pictures from a similar shell.

Below shell:

length: 688mm 75.1922 Navy
diam: 75mm

Hollow bottom
MA.I. = Société de fabrication de Matériels d'Artillerie à Issy

296a.jpg296.jpg296a2.jpg296a3.jpg

length: 674mm Franse Marine L/50
diam: 90mm

Hollow bottom
LU = Luchaire, La Chapelle St. Ursin (Cher)

364a.jpg364.jpg364a2.jpg

Regards,

Jf