What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panzerbusche 7.62

waffenamt

Hi Chaps,
Here is an inert 7.92 panzerbusche round i picked up in a deal.Anyone know much about these nicely shaped rounds please?
*Mod,can you please change topic title to correct calibre*

cheers

waff

Attachments

• S7004153.jpg
    S7004153.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 90
  • S7004154.jpg
    S7004154.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 85
  • S7004155.jpg
    S7004155.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Hi Waffenamt

the correct german spelling is Panzerbchse `` nice round realy there are not easy to find in this good condition !!

Regards David

Hi Chaps,
Here is an inert 7.62 panzerbusche round i picked up in a deal.Anyone know much about these nicely shaped rounds please?

cheers

waff

Hi Waff, nice round, here's a bit of information:

Bullet diameter 8.22mm
Neck diameter 9.09mm
Base diameter 20.91mm
Rim diameter 20.95mm
Case length 94.5mm
Total length 118mm

The Patr. 318 bullet weight is 14.4grams. It has a tungsten carbide core, a tracer element and a chemical lacrymatory component. The jacket is made of copper. This cartridge is identified by the black bullet tip and red primer annulus. It had a muzzle velocity of 1080 m.p.s.

During the Polish and French campaigns, anti tank rifled proved to be ineffective against armoured vehicles so the Germans later modified their anti tank rifles to convert them to grenade launchers. A grenade launching cartridge was designed for this purpose.

Variations include:

Armour piercing tracer tear gas tropicalised "Patrone 318 (Trop). Same appearance as the standard loading but with red lacquer case mouth.
Training "Patrone 318 Ub". Reduced load identified by green primer annulus and triangular figure on head stamp

Blank "Platzpatrone 318". hollow violet or red wooden bullet

Grenade catridge "Treibpatrone 318". Short round nosed yellow wooden bullet

Dummy "Exerzierpatrone 318". Black or red plastic cartridge with steel head.

Dummy "Exerzierpatrone 318". One piece cartridge with fluted brass case.

Tool catridge "Werkzeugpatrone 318". Two holes drilled through the case near the groove spitzer bullet with one hole completely chrome plated cartridge.

Hope this helps.

Dave.

Thank you very much David and Dave! :)
Very much appreciated indeed. I thought there were quite a few of these around and i was just unlucky to miss out on them.
Cheers and best

waff

Wow, that's a lot of information, thanks.
Sorry about the velocity error, whatever it is...........its really fast!!
Ta,
Dave.

Around 1,200 m/s is usually quoted as the MV but, according to Kent's book on German 7.9mm military ammo, when tested in the USA it was measured at 1,080 m/s. However, no information is provided about the conditions of the test or the gun.

This is actually a 7.92mm and not a 7.62mm.

The bullet may not be original, but I'm not sure how you would tell.

This is actually a 7.92mm and not a 7.62mm.

The bullet may not be original, but I'm not sure how you would tell.

Hi Falcon,you are correct with the size of 7.92 :) I just asked Mick as i thought it was 7.62 whoops!
Deffo original bullet,trust me .

best

waff

Hi
Call Panzerbchsenpatrone kaliber 7.9mm in "Die Militpatrronen Kaliber 7.9mm, ihre Vorlufer und Abarten" from Brandt Hamann Dr.Windisch

The development of the Panzerbchse 38 & 39 is described in Barnes & Noble encyclopedia 'Weapons of World War II page 209.

ISBN 0-7607-1022-8

[See attached clipping.]

Attachments

• PzB 38-39.jpg
    PzB 38-39.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 29