What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1 pdr 37 x 94R info wanted.

Quatermass

Hi guys, do any members have any information on 1 pdrs?
Ive just started collecting the smaller calibre stuff and Ive only got a limited amount of research material on the 37 x 94R rounds.
Does any one have a list/images of British, French, German and other nations rounds?
Cheers.

Quatermass

from Treatise of ammunition 1905
110c.jpg

Spotter just sent me this link

http://www.histavia21.net/Old-Munavia-21org/indedoc/AmmoGunDiv.htm

Excellent French language site, I wish I'd payed more attention at school as I have no idea how to read French. Can any one translate
'Obus Explosif Acier modle 1916 fuse G Gaba 3 verrous 1918'.
My online translater came up with
'High-explosive shell Steel model 1916 with rocket G Gaba with 3 bolts 1918'. Is this right? fuse=fuze?
Its one from my collction I.D.! (Obus Explosif Acier modle 1916 fuse Robin modle 1899/08)
The Picture of the British rounds are great.
Thank you Spotter!

Quatermass

Might as well post this here seen as Q is discussing 1pdrs .I bought a 1pdr cartridge this week at a flea market,no projectile with it and got it for only 5,I think its german but not sure as its first time ive had one of these,canm anyone explain the stampings please,also i know the complete rounds are easy to get but whats the situation with just projectiles

DSC00016.jpg

have also found the following document,it was originaly on one sheet but have broken it down to three to give clearer image,,but i have no idea what the writing says

1-0b64f4560b06a3534a6e769f496a3d54.jpg

AAA1_37x94R_Allied.jpg

French
Nose fuzed H.E. (Nose fuzed Common shell?)
High-explosive shell Steel model 1916.
APHE (Common pointed?)

British
Common Shell.

What is the correct term to describe the above, H.E. or Common? I'm sure they shoud be refered to as common rounds but its a term that even the dealers/collectors don't seem to use.
If any of the I.D's are wrong please correct me!
How rare is the British APHE common pointed?

Cheers.

Quatermass

In an old book i am reading it says that a 'common shell' is filled with black powder thats all i know about them i'm afraid.
DAZ

AAA1_37x94German.jpg

German.

Cannister, projectile made of zinc.
Practise, alloy fuze.
Common shell
Common pointed, early
Tracer, with original paint.

Again if the I.D.'s wrong please tell me.

Quatermass

Are cannister shells like big shotgun rounds for use against troop masses and if so how big was the shot in them roughly
DAZ

Yes thats right, Its a number of balls (18 in the case of the German round?) inside a metal casing. On firing the casing splits open and is ejected from the barrel along with the balls in a similer way to a shotgun pattern.
No very long ranged but a distinct deterrent to a close assult.

Quatermass

The one on the right in your second pic is in the wrong case.
It's a sockelflak projectile,and should be in a 37x102SR case.

Cheers,
Andy

And the cannister is still hot!!! The USA use them in a 120MM cannister shot in their abrahms down in Iraq.

regards

DM 53

AAA1_37x94R.jpg

Thanks Andy,

I didn't know that the Sockelflak used a different projectile from the 37x94R rounds.

Looking at the rounds lined up it makes a lot of sense.

I've put it back in its correct case.

Quatermass

There is one I notice that you don't have in your collection.
A French cannister round,where the cannister is made of thin brass.

Cheers,
Andy

Andy, theres a load I dont have!
I'm after a French cannister, French WW2 rounds, Britsh Common pointed, British tracer, British 37x70R 1 pdr Mk 3, and any pom poms from other nations.

It really is a work in progress!

If any one has any 1 pdr for swap then let me know, especially the 1 pdr Mk3.

Quatermass