What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AN-M41 US 20 pound frag bomb

Practice M41?

I was sent this photo today by an enquirer.
Location, date and and status unknown:

M41.jpg

It is unfused, and fins are missing, but there is definite blue paint on the body, not Olive Drab or Yellow. (It doesn't show up well in the photo, but you can see spots of the blue paint about 2/3 of the way back on the body.)

Was there an inert practice/training version of the M41?

All the best,
Paul

Got this Photo from a friend.This item was dealt with by EOD

Last edited by a moderator:
Blue paint or not! You cannot garrentee it does not have any fill. The only way to deal with this is to call it into the POLICE and tell them it is an allied air dropped weapon and they will call out the RAF to deal with it! what ever you do, do not play with it!

Further to my last the blue body indicates practice. This does not say no explosive as per the attached document

Last edited:
As Jayteepee so rightly says this should not be moved ,The local police should be notified immediately

It would seem that this photo was taken of an item that was dealt with by EOD a few years ago, and was sent to me by someone who wished to check whether there was a blue-painted practice type issued.

Sorry, that's all the info I have to date.

All the best,
Paul

Im sure i once sold a fuze for one of these?

very nice Daz,although im not entirely sure of yer last post???:tinysmile_eyebrow_t

cheers

waff

Last edited:
I have some info from a UK pam on US ammunition from 1944 (attached). Lotes of them turn up in East Timor, PNG and Australia. I have picked up the AN-M104 fuze from the M72 version as well as the parachute a few years ago. Unfortunately I was not allowed to keep them (blasted military rules on that sort of stuff on duty!!!).

Attachments

• Pages from US 20 lb frag bombs-2.zip
    65.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Pages from US 20 lb frag bombs-1.zip
    84.5 KB · Views: 120
Dont mean to jump in so late on this thread but,what the heck!!!!!I just made my trade and it was a good one.The chute is in the can and its 45 dated and in absolutly beautiful condition.

But I could use a nice fuze for it if anyone has a spare or is willing to sell?:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Attachments

• Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Picture 023.jpg
    Picture 023.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Picture 024.jpg
    Picture 024.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 80
Were looking for a M 41 for a project we are working on the states.
We need six of them.
We cannot find any for sale in the states..even locating one of them to get measurements off of for that matter.
We tried to go off the dimensions of the diagrams, but have found several discrepancies between measurements.

We are willing to purchase one of them as a pattern, so The next best thing to do is do a 3 D scan of the M 41 assemblies including the fuze and we will try to reproduce them.
We need the tail fins and not the parafrag version.
AN-M41A 20 pound frag with M110 fuze.

We are willing to pay for the 3 D scan.
Hope you folks can help.
Any suggestion would be appreciated..
Here is our web site.
http://www.blackcrossaviation.com/

We are also looking for DB 605 parts. They can be airworthy or non airworthy as long as we can scan them and manufacture the parts.

Before you get too far on your 3D scan, you might want to check the WWII ordnance drawings that were posted a few months back to see if the components and assembly are detailed in the scans. Complete factory drawings beat a scan any time. In addition, at least 4 BOCN members that I know in the states have examples of these bombs, most likely more than that.

Thanks for the reply.

We printed off everything in this discussion and pulled some additional info of the internet and the measurements are not the same.

I can check to see what measurements are in question.
I am the research guy and the guy doing the actual work is the one saying the figures do not add up.

If any of the members in the states are willing to let us scan their unit. It would be appreciated.
If they know of one complete AN-M41A that is for sale we would be very interested in purchasing it.

I am willing to drive to any of the 50 states to get the measurements/scans.

Now that I am at my library, as I said the detailed drawings of the 20 Lb. frag bomb, tail, and cluster adapter are in volume three of the munitions study guide volumes that were posted here on BOCN a few months back. (I'm not sure if volume 3 was included, as I have the original manuals.)

Unfortunately it is near impossible to post accurate scans of the manuals here on BOCN due to the maximum file size limits of the site. Scans make large files, which get compressed to a blur when attaching here. If you are unable to find the scans that were attached as downloads here on BOCN as I mentioned, PM me, and I will scan my book. You will need to send me a private email to send the large files to.

Some information from the 1944 manual

Hope it helps, uploaded twice, not in order ?????

Attachments

• Bombs 121.jpg
    Bombs 121.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Bombs 124.jpg
    Bombs 124.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Bombs 123.jpg
    Bombs 123.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Bombs 122.jpg
    Bombs 122.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Bombs 120.jpg
    Bombs 120.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Bombs 119.jpg
    Bombs 119.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Bombs 118.jpg
    Bombs 118.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Bombs 117.jpg
    Bombs 117.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Bombs 116.jpg
    Bombs 116.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Bombs 105.jpg
    Bombs 105.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Bombs 106.jpg
    Bombs 106.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Bombs 107.jpg
    Bombs 107.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Bombs 108.jpg
    Bombs 108.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Hello, I have one that you would be welcome to measure. I have the original shipping plug and a correct fuse. Hopefully you can find one closer than Wichita Ks but if not, let me know. Pat

Thanks for the help.
I will look thru the archives for the measurements.

I may be out Slum Lord..
I will talk to the boss and see what we do...

Thanks

Fuze M-110 or M110A1 for 20 lbs frag

I was wondering if anyone had some information on this fuze for a project I am working on. anything can be helpful, I am more looking for functioningThanks in adva nce