What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Training fuse

jeeeensy

Does anyone know which kind of fuse arrangement was used in M39 egg grenade with the training charge?

A training charge screwed on normal B.Z.E.39 but without delay tube is not possible in use as the
charge would go off at once when pulling the cord and If a delay tube is present it's too long.?

B_1.jpg
I have here the description of the Ei-39-practise grenade -Joerg

Thanks Joerg

The text says that training charge screws on DELAY TUBE of B.Z.E.39! However delay tube has 6mm thread at both ends, bungsladung 30 has 10mm thread, the same as B.Z.E 39 body has - thus when using the charge in egg grenades an adapter sleeve is needed to fit different threads together?????. Delay tube is too long and prevents from screwing the charge on fuse body thread.

In stick grenade this is no problem as fuse ahd charge have both the same 10mm thread. Any Ideas!!!

Hey Jeeeensy, were you ever able to figure this out? I have the same dilemma and cannot find an answer either.

Nope, still does not show it. Here is jeeeensy's question from above that explains the problem, and I added a picture to illustrate it:

The text says that training charge screws on DELAY TUBE of B.Z.E.39! However delay tube has 6mm thread at both ends, Übungsladung 30 has 10mm thread, the same as B.Z.E 39 body has - thus when using the charge in egg grenades an adapter sleeve is needed to fit different threads together?????. Delay tube is too long and prevents from screwing the charge on fuse body thread.

In stick grenade this is no problem as fuse ahd charge have both the same 10mm thread. Any Ideas!!!

Attachments

• Üb WAF (3).jpg
    Üb WAF (3).jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Hello,
At the bottom of the Ubungsladung main thread (10 mm), there is not a second thread (6mm) to receive the delay tube of BZE 39? I'm not sure but it's possible...

DSC08483.JPG

Hello,
At the bottom of the Ubungsladung main thread (10 mm), there is not a second thread (6mm) to receive the delay tube of BZE 39? I'm not sure but it's possible...

No, there is not a 6mm thread for the delay tube. As you can see in my picture above, the inside diameter of the Übungsladung stem is much larger than the diameter of the delay tube. Also, the delay tube is too long. The opening of the Übungsladung stem only goes as deep as the stem itself, it does not go into the interior of the Übungsladung bulb portion. The picture below shows the delay tube inserted into the stem as far as it will go.

For the attachment method you show in your picture above, there must be a different delay tube made specifically for the Übungsladung that is shorter and has a 10mm thread adapter, or perhaps there were longer B.Z.E.39 fuzes made just for these.

Attachments

• Üb (10) web.jpg
    Üb (10) web.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
The first picture below is from the internet, and shows a different method of attachment. On this one the Übungsladung stem is screwed directly into the base of the grenade cap. I do not see how this is even possible, at least with the Übungsladung in my collection that all have a 10mm stem. As you can see from the second picture, there is no way the 10mm stem on the Übungsladung would fit inside the cap.

Also, as shown in the third picture, once a B.Z.E.39 is screwed into the cap (without a delay tube), the interior threads would already be in use, so there would be nothing for the Übungsladung to screw into.

Attachments

• Charge.Smoke Übungsladung 30 (7).jpg
    Charge.Smoke Übungsladung 30 (7).jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Üb (6) web.jpg
    Üb (6) web.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Üb (3) web.jpg
    Üb (3) web.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited: