What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID for 40mm projectile please

StielGr

Not an area I know much about so I would appreciate any help to ID this projectile.
A friend gave me 2 of them but only 1 has any stamp markings left.

I was thinking 2pdr but at 162mm length I think that is too long.

Many thanks
Stiel
Copy_of_IMG_3859.JPG

Hi StielGr, Could it be a British 40mm L/60 Bofors AP projectile?

I believe the A.P./T was 155mm in length but I may be wrong.

1aBoforsAP.jpg

Quatermass

Thanks Quatermass.

I was thinking that was a possibility but I don't have one to compare it with.
Is the 155mm measurement an overall length?

If anyone has a Bofors 40mm AP can they please check to see if any of the stamp markings are similar.

Regards
SG

Hi,mine is crimped,so from bottom of band to tip= 135mm,bottom of band to start of taper in= 85mm, mine has no real marks. Could be for the S gun,To quote A williams article, MK1 proj 1.130 KG MK IV proj 1.360 KG 2pdr ap just over 1 KG. Might help.:)

Thank you tigbrand for the info.
I wouldn't have weigh scales that could measure the weight to that accuracy. The overall measure from the bottom of band to tip is 142mm but at the same time I cannot rule out a Bofors projectile.

For example in fert's thread:
http://www.bocn.co.uk/component/option,com_fireboard/Itemid,26/func,view/id,5783/catid,9/
There is a projectile marked 40 m/m the same as mine. Different shape of course.

(ps how do you link to a thread?)

The dimensions of the Bofors A.P./T are 446mm, complete round.
Projectile 155mm. Projectile from base of driving band to tip 135mm.

John Carlin gives the overall length of the S gun A.P.round as 11.85 inches (301mm)
The S gun used the 40X157R case so that would leave the S gun projectile measuring 144mm from the base of the driving band to the tip (and a full length of 164mm?)

I'm not sure how accurate the above infomation is, there may have been different marks of projectile that were different lengths and or had tracers?

Could well be a S gun round but the picture in the armourer has the projectile fitted with a base plug rather than a tracer. Could also be a different (longer) mark of Bofors A.P. projectile?

Not sure how helpfull any of the above is? I still can't give you a positive I.D.

Quatermass

The 164mm overall length and the 144mm from bottom of drive band to tip are a very near match. I measure the length closer to 163mm but thats very close.

What issue of the armourer were the pictures in?

SG

Armourer issue 18 November/December 1996

I can't be much more help StielGr, do any other members have any info on the S gun or A.P. Bofors rounds?

Quatermass

Your round appears to be of the same dimensions and shape that i have. The only difference is that mine doesn't have any markings on it.the measurements are the same basically and mine has a tracer in the bottom so that might give you something to go by.Also, i believe this to be a classs"S" gun round because if u compare it to an L/60 bofors round, the bofors appears to have a ballistisc cap on it or something that resembles it anyway.So given the evidence i would say your projectile is a vickers class "S" gun round.Hope this helps

2pr ap

Take a quick look at the base of your shell and compare it with the various photos posted against the 40mm S gun shell using the search facility. That will confirm or not if its S gun. 2pr