What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sd 4

Fjordhouse

Ordnance approved
Here are some pictures of the SD 4.

Attachments

• DSC06567.jpg
    DSC06567.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC06568.jpg
    DSC06568.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 93
Hi Ben
I see the Black painted one is missing the steel pressed steel ring , on the tail , thats the third one ive seen in as many weeks with it missing .

Iam sorry Steve, but i got these" black ones" directly from the container when they were found. 50 % was with steel ring the other 50% without, so i am afraid that these SD 4 are original.

Hi Ben thats interesting because i had an SD4 last year where the ring had come unwelded (they are only spot welded and the rust had damaged the weld, when this ring was taken off it was exactly the same tail , i wonder if these could have been part completed! Did your two examples come from the same box ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, both types came from the same box, the yellow one (first picture not) i had 2 containers all packed the same, 50% with and 50% without, as you can see on the black one, they were all in a very good condition

Hi Ben thats very interesting as the black one look as though they have been undercoated , ready for the external paint ,to be applied and as these were a late war development (1944) i suspect that they were part finished bombs .

No Steve, they are not black, the metal has turned black, they were yellow, all of them, when i got them there was some yellow paint left, they are as they are , 2 differnt kinds of tails.

Hi Ben
sorry i doughted the authenticity of this bomb its a late variation with this tail fin German bomb manual LDV4 200 is dated 1944
Steve

Hi
If I then to allow me, I observed a few years ago maintaining a
container filled with SD4 and what had drawn my attention was the
perfect organization of the bomes between them
Of course, for reasons of assembly between them, the empennage were of two types, exactely like those shown on your photograph
Against the numerical cameras not having invaded the world yet, I do not have photographs of the container and I am not sure any more different provision of the empennage between the bombs
Bombs are painted in yellow green

Here some bombs found in 2007 in Germany in a piece of a AB 500 Kg in a blown up ammo dump.

Attachments

• CIMG0690.jpg
    CIMG0690.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 50