What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Look what he found

Ravenhook

Take a look at this, it is from our local Thursday free loo paper.
look_what_he_found1-a740ced61a0891939a843c43f2a9a14f.jpg

Hello Ravenhook,

I've heard of people being three times lucky, but this bloke seems to be pushing his luck somewhat :pinch:

Cheers,

Invest

Yeeesh!!,i think the warning sign in the background says it all!

Leave the stuff alone and let the officials sort it out! :unsure:

best
w

waff

pull up a sandbag

Having a slow day today and noticed the paperclipping, it reminded me of a situation near to where Iwas working a few years back.

There is a place in Northern UK, which used to be a tank range during the war. The Armys other Unofficial Bomb Disposal guy had called the local paper and asked for one of the reporters to meet him at the moor.

The newspaper detecting (as Spotter put it) a Knob, called the police. Upon investigation they found out that the 'Knob' had found several items and was hoping for a local hero award. Knob is arrested and local EOD team tasked. great waste of my tax for the sake someones ego.

Also a friend of mine who worked in the sailsbury area 15 odd years ago remembers been kicked out of hisdigs because the local range warden had found a blind 66mm anti-tank rocket, placed it in the boot of his car and drove home with it.
The EOD team drove the car back to the range some 5 miles away after turfing people out of their houses along the route for safety.

the 66mm has that piexo-electric fuze so my hats off to the EOD operator who drove that car that day.

As Forrest Gumps says 'Stupid is as stupid does':stupid:

Last edited by a moderator:
A few years back I worked at a proof range and we provided EOD coverage for the local area. I wasn't on call that weekend but one of the locals knocks on my door and says " we have found an old bomb in the garden - Dad bought it back from a local range when he was fixing fences 15 years ago and we have just uncovered it" . I say "no worries I will pop on my uniform and be right over so it will be done all official" and he replies " don't worry about that it's in my car, my brother nursed it in the passenger seat". A nice thing to have on the doorstep with the wife and kids behind me. Fortunately it turned out to be an inert proof of propellant mortar projectile. Talk about bringing your work home (or having it bought home)!!!

Yes,its a crazy world!:laugh:
I would have thought that these guys had a little more sense.
However,let me tell you this little tale from when i first started out.

I know a bloke who told me about dig-ups he had bought from a geezer in Verdun.
Ive a load of inert proj`s in my van one night transporting them home one summer night.All of a sudden i could hear a slight `hissss` and a funny gas smell,so its windows open and i hotfoot up the M65.
Well old waffy sh#ts himself a bit thinking that one of these ww1 shells is leaking and i abandoned ship on my drive.
A few minutes later after a bit of a panic,i soon realized that the `hissss` was one of the crates had leaned on my braizing torch and slightly undone it making the noise and the smell!:hmmmm:
Silly boy!:laugh:

Last edited:
Stupid people

One of the worst moments of my life happened one Saturday morning. A collector who I had known for some time, rings me up and asks me if I would like to buy a couple of fired practice 106 recoilless rifle rounds. Ok I said but can I look at them, yeah no worries. He was in front of my house within about 30 minutes and had unloaded these two rounds. I had a look and asked him if practice rounds should be painted blue, no these are OK. HHMMM
I asked him to let me keep them and think about it. Now this twat had been to the range about 120 kilometers from my house, he had carried these two round all the way back in the boot of his car.
I then placed a call to a Major I knew in Ordnance, and asked him to pop over for a quick look. When he arrived, his face went a funny shade of green, and he took a 20 foot step backwards. I had sent my wife and kids to Mums place to get them out of the way. Before I know it, the whole bomb disposal unit turns up, and after a bit they took them away, and destroyed them. Guess what they went bang with an extremely loud kaboom. Now I had a friend in Vietnam and he saw two ordnance guys get blown away by a 106, the shadow of one of them crossed over the round and set the fuze off. They are nasty little buggers. Yes I did direct the Police and Army toward this guy, I can't stand F&+kwits who endanger my life.
See ya
Iain

idiots

why dont these folk learn? some folk love tryin to be a hero...one day they will loose an arm or worse,and
wonder why?.......let em get on with it,if they are that stupid and reckless ,then let em blow up..

it really pees me off..