What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 8 cm Ub

Did some quick photoshopping and hope this will explain it.

Attachments

• mor4 copy.jpg
    mor4 copy.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 228
Some more info, al the mortar rounds where painted brick red exepct for the bouncing one's, these where olive green. There where 2 types of the bounding one the wurfgranate 38 and 39 which where slightly different in the interior as you can see in the picture in page one and the drawing.
The piece which daz reich has can be the HE, smoke or practice, without seeing the inside it is difecult to see but I bet it is the HE becaus the other ones are quit rare.

Here some inert 8cm mortar shells in original color, from left:
-Bouncing HE
-Normal HE
-Normal HE
-Smoke
-Training ( filled with tar + a small charge )
I would swear I have also seen a normal HE in field grey color but couldn't find a photo just now.

Attachments

• 8cm.jpg
    8cm.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 224
Tmine35 said:
Here some inert 8cm mortar shells in original color, from left:

Excellent picture.
I don't know much about Wgr's but I take it the Bouncing is a 8cm Wgr 39 and are the 2 normal HE Wgr's 34s?

PC

According to "Geschossringbuch" D460/1 - 460/2a, my copy updated in 1942 there were following 8cm mortar shells:
-Wgr 38 Deut ( color smoke )
-Wgr 34
-Wgr 34 b
-Wgr 34 Kh ( smoke )
-Wgr 38 ( bouncing )
-Wgr 39 C bouncing )
-Wgr 40 ( long )
-Wgr 34 Ausf. ( modification ) I
-Wgr 34 Ausf.II
-Wgr 34 Ausf.III ( small differences between these 3 variations )

I can't tell it, I don't have these any longer and the differences are mostly in material and some small details.:tinysmile_angry_t:

Excellent info and pictures t-mine.:tinysmile_grin_t:

One day i hope to add one of these type mortars to the collection.
I bought what i thought was one at Beltring last year but it turned out to be Russian!
Luckily for me,a pal of mine collects Russki so off it went to his collection.

cheers

waff

I sorted some pictures of my collection and I found these. Here are a complete set of 8 cm mortar shells.

Best
E

Attachments

• Wgr.jpg
    Wgr.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 151
  • Wgr30.jpg
    Wgr30.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
I just picked up an early round a couple of weeks ago and it is missing both the bakelite fuze and the adapter piece it screws into. Can anyone help me locate one? Or another round that is complete? please reply to: ssshoop@hotmail.com as I don't check here often.
Thanks
Scott Shoop
U.S.A.

Hi, sorry to bump this old thread...and first post too so hello :)

Im just starting to collect a few things, mainly German, from metal detecting in Jersey.

Recently I found a partially detonated 8cm which I think is marked Ub

From what I am reading here its was a training round?? filled with more tar and less explosive?

I have found about 30 in a similar spot on the beach, not many are marked but I have also found one with a white band around it??

Smoke Mortar Oct 16 Le Hurel.jpgWhite band 8cm mortar small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They also had a bouncy one in red with green top and green fins

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 44