What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KwK40 Round (these pics are for my pal RichardB)

waffenamt

I know RichardB likes these!..
S7002043.jpg

Re:KwK40 Round (these pics are for my pal RichardB

the case still has a bit of the wash on it,no dings or holes.Its my first one and ive got to start somewhere!;)
here is a pic of the proj with some nice original stencilling left on.
S7002044.jpg

The base has seen better days and you can make out the stamps if holding the round.
S7002051.jpg

Has any of you boys an idea on how to highlight the letters still left?

i was thinking of a thin coat of spray then some talc or chalk??

over to you.
thanks in advance.

waff:)

Any ideas then chaps?,i am only going to sort the base out and not the rest of the case!

cheers

waff

Hi Waffy.....thanks for that, I do love to see ww2 tank ordnance, and I think the good old mainstay of the German forces, the 7,5cm Kwk40 of the Pz IV is always welcome.
Obviously I don't know what you paid, but it looks like you've done ok. Pop in the C/22 you picked up recently, and you've got a nice round.

As for the case, I think its perfectly acceptable. Its almost impossible to find a German case in perfect condition with 100% brass wash or painted coat, So since it is solid with some of the brass wash left as well as headstamp, I think you've done well.

As for the markings, personally, I'd tend to just leave it all well alone.

I might be tempted to a short phosphoric acid dip, if rust is looking like its taking hold...usually doesn't remove paint if you're careful. (NB will dissolve aluminium almost immediately though).

Now all you need is a nice Kwk40 HE or HEAT, or better still Kwk42 or Kwk43 :)

Rich

Thanks Rich for that informative reply.I shall have a think and will run with some of your ideas.
In the meantime i will give it a rub down with the old WD spray.

Hopefully those KT rounds are sorted later on this year,so keep in touch!.;)

regards

waff

Waff, can you post some more pictures of the projectile
(its not cos i think theres anything wrong btw :) )

Rich

Hi Richard,
wilco on the pictures tonight,ive got to go into the depot today for work(30 miles away),better get my skates on!

best

waff

Rich,
im going to get the proj pulled from the case.do you want some pics now or hang on until its freed?

cheers

waff

Evening me 'ole fruit
What ever is easiest, just like to see some pics of the projectile, so we can confirm its a 7,5cm Pzgr 39 for you :)
Rich

It looks fine to me so be carefull Waff. You wouldn't want to do any damage to the paintwork removing the projectile.

What is it that worries you about the projectile Rich?

Well nothing really, I just like worrying waffy ;-)

...actually Waff, if its not too late, SteilGr is probably right, best leave alone in the case, unless yer desperate to get it out...not point damaging.
Rich

:laugh: worrying waff indeed you rotten lot you!!:laugh:
I was thinking of getting Mick to make one of his kinetic pullers at work.

best

w

I must say it is a very nice projectile.

I have one just like it with the same stencil markings. Above the FES stencil it is marked "cxr 60" and this is also stamped on the base.

Don't ask cause I have no idea what it means.

Hi Sg,
i think the FES means `Steel driveband`,cxr is prob the makers code.
After consultation with Mick,i have decided to leave it in situ until i get a better case and then i will pull the proj out.
Rich,i will take some more shots in daylight tomorrow afternoon for better results.

cheers

waff