What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The German Y fuze sectioned

Hi Steve,
I will do another pic in daylight the `morrow.
Look again just below the line were the top attaches to the main body and you can make out a belt/bellow/bulge .
Im wondering if its had frost damage at some point?

best

waff

Hi Paul
Looking at my sectioned Y fuze in thread picture 1 i can see no reason why yours has a slight bulge, unless for some unknown reason the capacitor , had blown up internally, but would only happen if a very high voltage had been applied to it , or the polarity was reversed as in the case of an electolytic capacitor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Steve,
Im def going for the frost damage theory after a chinwag with a pal today.
Here are a couple of shots i took this morning.
Still a nice fuze though even with the defect?

Surely they aren`t that common?

best

waff

Attachments

• S7003651.jpg
    S7003651.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 61
  • S7003652.jpg
    S7003652.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 51
  • S7003653.jpg
    S7003653.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 51
Paul
A capicitor in a fuze or even left out on its own would not cause it to bulge , for many years i was in electronics and elecrical maintenance , and R+D , ive seen many cases of bulging capacitors , but all happened through overheating or over voltage , or , as said earlier reversed polarity

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Chaps,

Both good questions but i must wonder what sort of lunatic would attempt to wire up a fuze?

I believe that there was 110 volts zapped into them when they were in the bomb aboard the plane just before release?,i could be wrong as usual!

Chris got a good point but surely the body would show a lot of signs of corrosion too?

Either way,i think these dont come around that often so its in the collection for now.

Thanks guys for your inputs.

best

waff

Take a look in the L.Dv. 4200 "Anhang, Serie I, Blatt 20". Its the "Sonderznder (50) B" and the "y" ist a fragment from the factory code.

This is an incredible engineering design. How did the delayed arming circuit work ? Was the arming impact iniated ?

THE FIRST y fuze was encountered in 1943 at Lords Cricket ground , it was in a 500sc bomb. this fuze was designed soley for one purpose , namely to kill the BD officer , sent to deal with it, the fuze looked like any other ECR fuze , but it had the extra letter Y on it , as fuzes did often have variations of markings it didnt worry the officer unduly, but there the similarity ended the fuze contained a seperate cicuit, powered by two 1.5 volt cells only , this circuit came into operation after the bomb came to a complete standstill, for this fuze had 3 mercury switches, set in different planes , therefore the slightest movement, and this mercury would detonate the bomb , it was later found out that this fuze had a broken solder joint which meant it was not armed. once found how it worked Major John Hudson , and a team of scientists discovered that the fuze could be immunised by freezing the batteries using liquid Oxygen, dripped over the fuze until a Hoar frost 12 inches in circumfrance , then and only then was it safe to remove.

Hello Madbomber - what book/manual is this illustration taken from please?

Thanks

Austin

not the best drawing hope it helps.:)

Scannen0059i.jpg

Cheers Mad B)

Fuze is to kill the EOD guy trying to defuze the bomb

Hello Madbomber - what book/manual is this illustration taken from please?

Thanks

Austin

Its taken from TM 9-1985-2 German Explosive Ordnance (bombs, fuzes ,rockets, land mines ,grenades & igniters)

Attachments

• German Ord.pdf - Adobe Reader.jpg
    German Ord.pdf - Adobe Reader.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 27
Here is a picture of the one i have in my collection. original paint.

Attachments

• foto's 01-05-2009 553.jpg
    foto's 01-05-2009 553.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 43
  • foto's 01-05-2009 556.jpg
    foto's 01-05-2009 556.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 46