Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pfm-1

UBIQUE
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,219 Times in 800 Posts

Pfm-1

The PFM-1 anti-personnel mine/bomblet is a Soviet air delivered, plastic mine filled with liquid explosive, usually green, sand, or white coloured. Any distortion of the body causes the mine to explode, including light pressure while handling. It does not self-destruct and cannot be neutralized,
    Sadly children try to pick these up thinking they are toys
    It is a back engineered copy of the USA Made BLU-43

Ive been after one of these for a long long time and yesterday was fortunate enough to get a nice INERT Instructional model
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by spotter; 10th January 2010 at 01:15 PM.

Any Live or Dug ordnance shown by me has been disposed of by military EOD personnel .

Site administrator. damned if i do..damned if i dont

BOCN HELPING TO PROMOTE SAFE RESPONSIBLE ORDNANCE COLLECTING

Fuzeman
    Brings back happy memories Allan
    MILTRA Engineering had their sales office not far from here in Watford , Lyn Haywood one of their directors and himself a de miner of many years standing was very knowlegable on AP and AT mines its nice to see a British model rather than the Russian with the Y in the wing .

Steve
    Last edited by Fuzeman; 21st May 2009 at 11:26 PM.

Thanks
    Nasy little things. Russia dropped them all over Afghanistan. The production models are made out of a cheap plastic that doesn't age well.
    Leaves an even smaller metal cylinder behind with a live detonator, that still doesn't like being stepped on.
    Not the smallest scatterable about- ever hear of the "gravel" mine?

Ordnance Approved
    Images
    Thanks
    I have seen the gravel mine.

Premium Member
    Thanks

PFM-1 Green Parrot

Interesting sub-munition extensively used by the Soviets from helicopters. The butterfly shape has a wing on one side and a chamber for the liquid explosive on the other. The clever engineering is using the liquid explosive to operate the fuse in the center. The operation uses pressure on the container to force liquid into the fuse and cause it to operate.

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,031 Times in 1,166 Posts
    The PFM-1 came in three colors for field use (others for development), difficult to make out in this photo, but they are green, brown and tan. They "y" indi9catres that it is inert fill for practice. Finding them without the "y" is very difficult in the west. (1st photo)

The BLU-43 - BLU-44s (2nd photo) were also in three colors, but quite a bit smaller. On the far right are a US dummy and an East German training dummy (bright green).
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,031 Times in 1,166 Posts
    missed one picture
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

Images
    Thanks
    Nice , very nice photos US. Do you own all of that yourself? Amazing if you do.

I remember watching kids showing the mine up to cameras just so they could show the world how nasty that item was when the Russians invaded Afghanistan in !979. I was also told that they definately didn't like to be held up either and under certain conditions they would go off with a touch of your finger(s)!

Images
    Thanks
    I rember reading about these in SOF Magazine way back when.... I was in high school.

Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gijunkman View Post
    I rember reading about these in SOF Magazine way back when.... I was in high school.
    Still the best mag out there for information around the world. I started reading it in the mid 70's and have the first three issues of it still in plastic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast