What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BESA 15mm & 13mm projectiles

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
here a puzzle for you experts! against a standard 15mm BESA projectile, I have shown what appears to be a SAP/I - construction is identical to the 20mm Hispano SAP/I using kenetic energy as the initiator.

But I'm not certain as to the other 2, they are 13mm (but could be .5) one is a solid shot, the other is an HE but note how the driving band is very broad and made in the form of a jacket around the lower part of the shell - the steel part goes right down inside the copper. It is wasted so presumably the copper driving band was inside the case which was then crimped into the wasted area. Any ideas?

The Vickers 25.4mm is shown for interest.

And another puzzle - I'll tell you answer later, what does PISH stand for (as in HESH, HEAT etc). I'll include a photo with the answer! Dave
bul.jpg

I don't know about the BESA, but it could be British. The left hand .50 I would say certainly is British. There was a whole series of wartime experimental .50 loads, some of which had this style of driving band. I am in Italy at present so cannot check my records, but here is a British experimental AP that I happen to have the photo already loaded in Photobucket.

50APexp.jpg

These probably originated at ROF Swynnerton who did most of the British wartime work on .50 cal. I have British made ball, tracer, Incend Mark I, Incend Mark II and drill.

Regards
TonyE

Apologies for bumping up an old thread; what is the solid copper projectile pictured?
I've seen one for sale and if it's 15mm BESA AP I'll buy it for my case.
Mitch.