What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

120 mm bat experimental head ?

russell

Picture_115.jpg
could this be a 120 mm expermental head ? my wife recons i am experiMENTAL

hi Russell, no, these are early Chieftain tank rounds - they are dated 1964ish. If they had been for the BAT series of guns, they would have a cannelure below the driving band for the case to be crimped into, Dave

hi dave out standing thanks for that i know nouthing about this type off shell to modern for me ,have 4 off them and some smaller flat headed ones all takeing up space in the shed ,once again thanks

Nice item Russell and in the experimental colour too !
Here is a picture of a 120 MM Bat (Battalion Anti-Tank) Practice Squash Head projectile that get crimped into a Brass case using the groove a few millimeters below the driving band.
120_BAT_SH_Prac.JPG

definitely for the Chieftain tank - and early, dating from the early 60s. Quite rare really as they weren't the sort of thing anyone wanted to put in their pocket on the way home from work!