What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ammunition Box no C320

/perks

someone mention my name?

C320 isn't in my list of boxes (dated 1943) and judging by the high number (assuming the powers that be in the MoD use numbers in ascending order C374 is the highest I'm aware of) its a relatively recent box.

Does anyone have access to JSP 422? If it is current it should be included in that. It is classified as Restricted so be careful what you post on the forum.

Last edited:
C320 box

I believe that the C320 is the container that carries 6 pdr A/T rounds but not sure how many rounds to the box,they would be in transit tubes.
I have found several of these in very good nick and have seen pictures of these ammo boxes carried on airborne jeeps.

Can you post some pics?

According to the reference (dated 1943) I have 6 pdr 7cwt was contained in:

C 89
AP qty 12
C238
AP qty 4
C246
AP qty 6
C263A
HE qty 4
C263 mk I
AP qty 4
C264
AP qty 6
APC qty 6
HE qty 6
C286
APC BC qty 6

C320 box

Attached are a couple of old pics of an airborne jeep and 57mm a/t gun being loaded into a glider.
Not the ammo boxes on the jeep hood and the box in the lower right of the 57mm gun pic .
These are the boxes I have located.

Rob

Attachments

• airspeed-horsa-jeep-gun.jpg
    airspeed-horsa-jeep-gun.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 97
  • market_garden_day_1_1.jpg
    market_garden_day_1_1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 85
From the 'Handbook for the Ordnance, Q.F. 6 -Pr. 7 CWT., Marks II and IV on Carriage, 6-PR., Marks I and III'. (Amended May 43)

Box No. C 263. To hold 4 rounds with A.P. shot, each in container No. 61. 27.5-in. x 8.5.in. x 8. in. Steel.

Box No. C264. To hold 6 rounds, each in container No. 42. 26-in. x 13.75-in. x 9.5. Steel.

Box No 263A. To hold 4 rounds H.E. each in container No 49. 27.5-in. x 8.5-in. x 8-in. Wood.

Your box made have been introduced after May 43, but you should be able to work out how many rounds were held by comparing the dimensions above with those of your box.

Quatermass.

C320 box

The Dimensions of the boxes are 32"x7.3/4"x7.3/4" so it seems they are not far away from the measurements listed in the manual.

Gentlemen, I know this thread is rather old but I have a steel box stamped C263A mk I with no other markings that doesn't quite match up to the above references so I am rather confused as to whether it contained AP or HE.
Also, I'm wondering if the mkI is the version of the box, the ordnance or the weapon that utilized it. Finally I wonder if these boxes were used by all services or were all these numbers from army only references. Any info any of you can provide will be gratefully received. Pics are posted in id forum but can repost if needed. Thanx so much. All the best, Daweson

For dawesong the Mk1 straight after the C263A will refer purely to the mark of the box. Please bear in mind that as long as it was the correct size for a calibre or type of ammo it could have been used to contain anything. Working in the `Detailed Issues Group (DIG)' in a depot we frequently used whatever was to hand and as long as we could securely and safely package it, would fill in paperwork to seek at least temporary approval to issue it to a unit, in the knowledge that even if the mode of pack was not officially approved later the ammo would be used within months.

As for the C320 I am sure that was a type of box in use while I was in service but I do not remember, just from the number, what it contained. Two propelling charges in plastic inner containers for the 105 mm Field Gun Mk2 system sounds about right to me (or possibly the C316) but without access to RAOC Stats I cannot positively say.

Gentlemen, I know this thread is rather old but I have a steel box stamped C263A mk I with no other markings that doesn't quite match up to the above references so I am rather confused as to whether it contained AP or HE.
Also, I'm wondering if the mkI is the version of the box, the ordnance or the weapon that utilized it. Finally I wonder if these boxes were used by all services or were all these numbers from army only references. Any info any of you can provide will be gratefully received. Pics are posted in id forum but can repost if needed. Thanx so much. All the best, Daweson

I know this is an old post but i have found the C263a could contain 4 rds HE, AP, HV AP, APC, HV APC, APDS and Practice shot. Hope this helps

Cheers Hangarman

Attached are a couple of old pics of an airborne jeep and 57mm a/t gun being loaded into a glider.
Not the ammo boxes on the jeep hood and the box in the lower right of the 57mm gun pic .
These are the boxes I have located.

Rob

I just came across your old post and looking at the wartime photos the boxes on there are identical to an M74 box I have which is dated 1941. So far I have only found that the M74 could contain Fuzes No. 199.

120271123_3482818358442388_7385861923577296826_n.jpg

I wonder if a C320 was this type of box? 2 x 6 pdrs in cardboard tubes with cartridge clips.

Attachments

• 94D3A673-C8E4-4F85-B5C6-92892D324F8C.jpg
    94D3A673-C8E4-4F85-B5C6-92892D324F8C.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 19