What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

42mm Red Queen anti aircraft

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
see the attached photo of a 42mm reduced length L70 Bofors case with L70 experimental marked projectile. The 2 came as one without first going into private hands - if you see what I mean. The odd thing is that the L70 driving band (apart from the raised centre) is 42mm. Does anyone know if this is the correct combination - if not, what does the Red Queen projectile look like? Dave
bofors.jpg

Hi rickoshea as regards the driving band being 42 mm in diameter, bear in mind that when the projectile engages the rifling it is engraved to a diameter of 40 mm and therefore the driving band must be bigger to ensure a gas tight fit in the bore-your projectile and case are exptremely interesting as the projectile has the usual experimental colour on it and the case is a shortened 40/70 Bofors case, I would be most interested in knowing what the headstamp is on the case as well as any letter stamps on the projectile and fuze.
Also the driving band is shorter than the normal !

hi Chris, the headstamp reads 40/70 Mk1, lot 8, RLB, 1956 and has the experimental purple band across it. The projectile is a 1957 manufacture although the experimental stencil date is 1964. You are riht about the driving band, its probably just a coincidence that the calibre is 42mm which is the same as the narrow part of the driving band which is full size by the way, it just sits in the case up to the raised centre line. I'll put some photos of other experimental stuff on during the week. Dave

Nice one Dave, always nice to see what everyone else has tucked away !
Look forward to seeing more goodies!:woohoo: