What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

303 blank ammunition question

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
Found a couple of greek made HXP 1982 dated 303 blank rounds at work this week,im curios as to what the red paint on the crimped end indicates
thanks for looking allan

Attachments

• DSC00043.JPG
    DSC00043.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC00048.JPG
    DSC00048.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 30
Found a couple of greek made HXP 1982 dated 303 blank rounds at work this week,im curios as to what the red paint on the crimped end indicates
thanks for looking allan
Hi Allan
I Think i will be qouted on this but i think the red paint was a tell tail system of rating the power of the cartridge ie i have seen black tips and
green aswell.

Best phil

Tip colours

A possible reason is to identify a "Blank" for a special purpose i.e. Ballistite for rifle grenade propulsion as well as acting as waterproofing.

Here is a picture of a 1998 HXP Blank that I think may have been a "Ballistite" Blank for a rifle grenade ?

Attachments

• HXP modern.jpg
    HXP modern.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 18
Blank

Generally the colour of the sealing varnish on .303 blanks has no significance other than to waterproof the crimp.

Grenade cartridges in British service are marked by all or parts of the case being blackened, and those made in other countries either follow this convention or have something stencilled on the side of the case. (FN launching blanks in Belgian service for example)

The HXP blanks manufactured in the 1980s and later were made on British government contract for the cadet forces. The HXP ball round was the L1A1 and the blank the L10A1. The Greek blank was the equivalent of the old .303 blank L Mark 9z. These usually had the red tip sealant.

Regards
TonyE

Agree with Tony Spot, have come across quite a few different colours in my re-enacting days. Will have a rummage through and see what i have left as they are all in orig. boxes.

many thanks everyone for all your answers and explanations
cheers allan

Ballestite

To my knowledge the red tip was for Blank as in for training. Ballestite/Ballistite carrtrdges are sealed and marked with black.

Ballistite Blanks

Attached are two pictures of-
1 standard L10 series 7.62mm Blank with a green Lacquer sealed tip.
2 Ballastite Blank for firing the "Energa Grenade 94" 7.62mm wax sealed inside crimp and body chemically blackened with bright brass primer.

Attachments

• 762 Blank L series.JPG
    762 Blank L series.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 762Ballastite Bnk L.JPG
    762Ballastite Bnk L.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 19