What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the law

As I said,it's just something I'm working on at the moment.

Although,if this cut down the number of times that the police and EOD were needlessly called out to inspect/destroy a piece of harmless inert ordnance they may do it for free!

There are companies out there who will inspect your ordnance and declare it FFE and safe,providing a certificate to show this,however,they charge per item,so if you have a large collection it could prove costly!

Cheers,
Andy

In Holland you need to prove a membership of the ECRA before you can get a police permit. The Dutch ECRA group only gives a go ahead for a permit after a probation period of one year for small caliber munitions (that is < 19mm). (fully intact, no holes and powder present)

Large caliber munitions are allowed after proven/certified knowledge of large caliber munitions and it's safety aspects (a course and three years waiting time) These large caliber munitons should be free of any energetic materials.

Handgrenades and mines need a special permit.. that is seldom given to students of the ECRA.. (read students, no nice shiny stuff collectors).

Once more.. i urge the UK Collectors to get in contact with the UK chapter of the ECRA and get yourself organised before it is over.

waffenamt wrote:
Good idea,but ive been thinking of this problem for a while now.
Are these idiots in charge think perhaps that an old piece of ordnance could be converted into an IED??
waff

YES, and without a problem at all.. and bye the way they are not idiots they are more or less professionals with experience.

AndyD wrote:
..the number of times that the police and EOD were needlessly called out to inspect/destroy a piece of harmless inert ordnance.

When you are talking in numbers, also mention the number of times EOD finds life threatening 'empty' igniters, grenades etc. It takes an expert (a real one) to recognize an igniter.. and usualy you can't see if there's any energetic material left in there. So why gamble?

There are several pro's (eod or alike) on this forum and they know what the risks are. I bett they will blow it if there's any doubt left.

I shall be speaking to my pal Mick tonight about the ECRA angle you mentioned earlier.
Its prob a very good idea.

cheers and best

waff

Ammodillo wrote:
waffenamt wrote:
Good idea,but ive been thinking of this problem for a while now.
Are these idiots in charge think perhaps that an old piece of ordnance could be converted into an IED??
waff

Ammodillo wrote...

YES, and without a problem at all.. and bye the way they are not idiots they are more or less professionals with experience.

Hang on `dillo,im talking about the `govt`pen-pushers here and NOT anyone connected with EOD and the like.

waff

hi my local police are aware i collect ordnance i told them just in case one off the neighbours sees me carrying some thing in the house and calls them better to let them know than have the door kicked open at 4 in the morning ,but i have had 2 visits from them the fire arms man and special branch .after a long look round bouth where not to shour on the law and had to refer to the BOOK i did have to sign over some items to them ,but a week later after a phone call thay returned to photograth my collection to use as a training aid .but thay are going to start police the shows and thay will remove any thing thay dont like the look off .all so thay where keen to know about other collectours i new .i got the impresion thay do not know how meany collectours there are ,but are keen to find out .

no better to let them have it than end up in court .its a FINE LINE knowing what you can and can not have lost a box off 10 x 5 cm german mortours ,and other bits ,you dont need an old shell to blow things up we all know ..........., ect if thay new the cost off a good ww2 88mm then thay would know its to dam expensive to blow them up.

I have edit your post a little Russell Cheers Mad.B)

oof!,i bet that hurt when the mortars got napped?:eek:hmy:

I assume they still had live dets as i cant really think why they would take them?

waff

just a little got them from germany no reson at all for them to take them totaly safe but thay claim thay could be re - actevated ? how i dont know .it a case off if in dout grab them ,