What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 pd bomb with No.29 fuze

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
thought you might like to see a 20 pound bomb in original finish and markings - the dark stains on the tail area is a brownish varnish - don't what purpose it served - it was on all 6 that I had.
bmb.jpg

Hello Rrickoshae,

Many thanks for sharing you picture with us, as I've never seen one of these close up before :laugh:

Cheers,

Invest

you probably know that these were issued in containers of 8 and loaded complete with container onto medium bombers. This came from a complete container load found in Finland. Sadly, the container was not saved. Presumable we had sold them to the Fins early in the war as they were more or less obsolete in UK service by 1940. I believe that it was intended to arm training aircraft (tigermoths etc) with these should there be an invasion - I kept this one just in case!

you probably know that these were issued in containers of 8 and loaded complete with container onto medium bombers. This came from a complete container load found in Finland. Sadly, the container was not saved. Presumable we had sold them to the Fins early in the war as they were more or less obsolete in UK service by 1940. I believe that it was intended to arm training aircraft (tigermoths etc) with these should there be an invasion - I kept this one just in case!

this could be the one!
found in germany.

anyone some info ore pics?

Thanks.

dropqm0.jpg

Hello Bloome

Just seen your picture. It's a strongback from a Cluster projectile - British or American, but it's a bit difficult to tell which one projectile it was - the drawings I have aren't too clear. The strongback formed the framework of the cluster with the payload - Incendiary bombs, flares, etc held in a bundle by steel bands running through the channels you can see. The bands were held closed by a mechanism which was released when thetime delay fuze operated. The two lugs are for carriage on an American arircraft - either USAAF or an American aircraft in RAF service, for example a Mitchell. The square hole rusted away could be where the single British suspension lug used to be. The curved plates near each lug are called Crutch Pads and are used to tension the cluster against the aircraft to stop it moving furing flight.

I hope this helps.

Regards

eodda

Hello Bloome

Just seen your picture. It's a strongback from a Cluster projectile - British or American, but it's a bit difficult to tell which one projectile it was - the drawings I have aren't too clear. The strongback formed the framework of the cluster with the payload - Incendiary bombs, flares, etc held in a bundle by steel bands running through the channels you can see. The bands were held closed by a mechanism which was released when thetime delay fuze operated. The two lugs are for carriage on an American arircraft - either USAAF or an American aircraft in RAF service, for example a Mitchell. The square hole rusted away could be where the single British suspension lug used to be. The curved plates near each lug are called Crutch Pads and are used to tension the cluster against the aircraft to stop it moving furing flight.

I hope this helps.

Regards

eodda

Thanks eodda!

i will let is sandblasting and powdercoating, maybe some
stamps on the lugs come to the surface!

ps, i found on the spot 1 impellor of 20lb british bomb,
and youre pictures are so welcome!! please post them.

can you tell me what is the collour of origin on this cluster strongback?

Regards,

Bloome

thought you might like to see a 20 pound bomb in original finish and markings - the dark stains on the tail area is a brownish varnish - don't what purpose it served - it was on all 6 that I had.
bmb.jpg
hi can you post the photo again please ? Not possible to see . Thank you

Can not see the photo. So I do not know which bomb is talking about.

The British 20 lb. Fragmentation bomb (Mk I - IV, Fin Stabilised, or Mk I - III Parachute) could be dropped from a 160 lb. Small Bomb Container (8 bombs) or a 250 lb. Small Bomb Container (12 bombs) ore individual from a Light Series Bomb Carrier.
The 20 lb. Fragmentation Bomb No. 17 Cluster Only was dropped with the No. 17 Cluster (26 bombs)