What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experimental Oerlikon 35 X 228 projectiles.

SG500

Premium Member
Attached a couple of photos of some experimental Oerlikon 35 X 228 projectiles.
Note the plastic band on the blue projectile.
The APDS is definitely not the standard service version, any further information on this would be welcome.
The other 2 are a mystery, anyone any ideas?
All INERT.
Note the fluted cases on a couple of the rounds.
Dave.

Attachments

• 31 May 09 016.jpg
    31 May 09 016.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 145
  • 31 May 09 017.JPG
    31 May 09 017.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 123
Dave,

I can believe the one with the plastic band, and the APDS. The other two look like someone with some empty cases and a lathe got creative, but you never know.

The cases all look really nice though.

John

Fluted cases.

Cases are experimental and were made for tests involving "Ease of extraction" as the weapon system has suffered a few case jams, so these BMARCO cases were made to ease the chamber swelling problem that caused the jam ups.
The idea most likely was "reverse engineered" from the Russian ZSU 23mm gun as this had a fluted chamber which was the way the 35mm Oerlikon went in the end so that the standard cases could be used and the gun chamber was fluted by means of "spark erosion" as the cases were problematic and expensive to produce.
Nice items-wonder where they came from:tinysmile_eyebrow_t

Hi John yes these ones are real, I'll send you some close up photos and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks for the info Chris, very interesting. Yes the guy I had them off keeps comming up with some good stuff, it seems to be out there still.

Dave.

I don't notice any case 'fluting' on the photos of the cartridges. Besides why would there be fluting marks on the case of an unfired cartridge?

"...the way the 35mm Oerlikon went in the end so that the standard cases could be used and the gun chamber was fluted by means of "spark erosion" as the cases were problematic and expensive to produce." Are you certain the chambers of Oerlikom 35mm guns are fluted? I can not find confirmation anywhere.

Fired Oerlikon 35mm case showing fluting.
cheers ,Bob

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 48
Fluted cases

I don't notice any case 'fluting' on the photos of the cartridges. Besides why would there be fluting marks on the case of an unfired cartridge?

"...the way the 35mm Oerlikon went in the end so that the standard cases could be used and the gun chamber was fluted by means of "spark erosion" as the cases were problematic and expensive to produce." Are you certain the chambers of Oerlikom 35mm guns are fluted? I can not find confirmation anywhere.
In answer to your question initially the cases were made with the "flutes" prominent on the cases instead of the weapon chamber-as initially this was thought to be the most cost effective answer to prevent case jams, but I believe there were other problems possibly in the case manufacture leading to this idea being dropped.
You will see the "flutes" on the picture of one of SG500's cases fairly clearly.

Attachments

• 35mm OEZ flutes.jpg
    35mm OEZ flutes.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 35
Thanks Chris, for the explanation and photo.
I've taken a few more, the flutes are difficult to photograph but can be seen OK in these images.
Dave.

Attachments

• 35mm fluted 001.jpg
    35mm fluted 001.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 35mm fluted 002.jpg
    35mm fluted 002.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 35mm fluted 003.jpg
    35mm fluted 003.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 26
Some experimental 20mm Oerlikon fluted cases were also made in the UK - they were illustrated recently in the ECRA Bulletin.