What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

depth charge MkXX hydrostatic pistol

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
here is a photo of my depth charge 'fuze'. On the detonator end, there is 887 - originally painted on, the paint has long sice gone but the brass has been left a different shade so that you can still clearly read it. If this relates to the squadron that retained it, then that would be a Seafire squadron. Does anyone know if Seafires carried depth charges? (they could carry 250pd bombs on their hard points) Dave
hsp.jpg

Really nice specimen! I have never seen this version before. I just acquired a US inert depth charge fuze used in the MK6 and MK9 Mod depth charges. I would love to see some more pictures of your if you get the time.

Jason

Many years ago I traded an old depth charge pistol that had been stamped on the upper outer screw ring with : D.L.D.C. MK IX*** (this had been crossed out with 2 lines) 9*** CB65283
What do these markings mean and in what type of depth charge and at what time have these been used. I read that most of the british depth charge pistols function not by pressure, but the time taken by the water seeping in through differently sized holes, to fill up the bellows inside. Is there any literature available, handbooks and others about depth charges ? These are fuzes you seldom read about and I would very much like to know more.
Regards,
Bellifortis.

Attached is an image of a 'D' type depth charge pistol, circa 1915.

TimG

dc.jpgwords.jpg

Last edited:
Hallo Tim,
thanks for your informative answer. On the descriptive page it says that these pistols come with 2 adjustable settings, 40 and 80 feet (13m and 27m). This seems to me a very shallow depth range for U-Boats. If I remember right, the Mk 9*** had settings of up to 700 or 900 feet. What does "D" type mean ? From which publication are your above 2 pages taken ? Do you know if the sinking rate (that would be commensurate with the density of the body) of the different models of DC's was different or very much the same ? What were the sizes/ weights used ? In what year was the change in marking procedure from MK IX *** to Mk 9*** ordered ?
Greetings,
Bellifortis.

Last edited:
Bellifortis,

The pages are from a 1915 publication. The depths do seem very shallow, the Royal Navy were subject to a very steep learning curve during this period. I'll take a look at at the publication again to see if there is an explanation for the 'D'. I can't give you the other details as yet. Land Service ammunition changed from Roman to Arabic numerals in 1945, I assume it was the same for Naval ammunition.

TimG

Hi Tim G!
Can you still make other pictures? From the head side and from below. Harry

Hallo Tim,
in your post before this one you mention the year 1915. That's WW1. If the changeover from Roman to Arabic numerals occured in 1945, then the depth charge fuze Mk 9*** must have been in use all through WW 1, WW2 and after. This seems surprising, because of the rapid technological advancement, especially in those 30 years.
Greetings,
Bellifortis.
Bellifortis,

The pages are from a 1915 publication. The depths do seem very shallow, the Royal Navy were subject to a very steep learning curve during this period. I'll take a look at at the publication again to see if there is an explanation for the 'D'. I can't give you the other details as yet. Land Service ammunition changed from Roman to Arabic numerals in 1945, I assume it was the same for Naval ammunition.

TimG

Martin,

The diagram I posted is not of a Mk.IX pistol. From what I can ascertain the Mk.IX and Mk9 as well as the Mk 27 were still in service in about 1947.

Regards

TimG

Hallo Tim,
thank you for your explanation. It would be nice to know more about the history of the Mk IX and in what DC's it was used. That also comes back to my original question about any worthwhile literature. I live in the middle of the country, so I seldom get aquainted with maritime equipment
Regards,
Bellifortis