What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identification Tips

HAZORD

Premium Member
Over the past two months that I have been a member, I have seen a number of members seeking identification of their particular treasure. As with most of us, once we have seen something and we know exactly what it is, we can recognize it again.

With projectiles, size and shape is very important, but the location, size and characteristics of the rotating band, tracer, and crimping groove are all very important to me when I'm trying to do an ID. The rotating bands on these projos vary from the most simple single flat band, to grooved band, to grooved band with a shelf on top where most of the band is inside the cartridge case. The grooves on these bands will still be present on fired projectiles that still have bands, and the spacing between the grooves can help with the ID too.

I've posted a photo of an 75mm M72 AP-Shot-T for the Sherman tank and B-25 aircraft, a 76mm M79 AP Shot-T for the Super Sherman and M-10 Tank Destroyer, and a 76mm TP-T for the M41 Walker Bulldog. They are all within 1mm diameter of each other, but differ greatly in the size, type, and location of the rotating band and crimping groove. They all have tracers, but the 2 on the left use a blind bore in the base for a tracer, whereas the one on the right has a threaded bore in the base allowing a prebuilt and assembled tracer to be screwed in.

These types of details also help with identification as the 2 on the left are both dated 1942 while the one on the right is dated 1952. Manufacturing advancements made it more practical to have the tracer threaded in, so we can speculate that it is a newer design. Keep in mind that I'm comparing projos all from the same country that were used in tanks.

As collectors, we all notice these tiny differences, especially in the items we are most familar with. I thought I would share these with you, and I hope that all of you can continue to share similar important identification characteristics that you have noticed in your collecting and work with the rest of us.

John

Attachments

• 75 and 76mm Shots.jpg
    75 and 76mm Shots.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 421
  • 75mm Shots bases.jpg
    75mm Shots bases.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 315
  • 76mm T212 Tracer.jpg
    76mm T212 Tracer.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 324
  • 76mm all.jpg
    76mm all.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
Hi Hazord
Thats very interesting thanks , its often the smallest details that get over looked.

Tips;

You take some very nice I.D. images.
Any tips on getting identification on my 1860-70s projectile fuzes that I keep posting without any success??
Regards,
John aka Bart