What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

exploding 50 cal

18pounder

well thought I'd share this,but I dont think there is anyone as daft as me out there.

I was experimenting with various ways of ageing polished shells to get back to the old patina.
One way that has been sugested is heat from a blow tourch...I know what your thinking...
So I started to heat up a 50 cal round (that I KNOW was empty!) after about 30 seconds or so I noticed the multi coloured effect from the heat on the metal ..yuk.
Then BANG!!! the glued in bullet shot out and hit the ceiling leaving a dent and came down on my work bench with some force behind it.
After I had calmed my nerves with a ciggerette and took some sarcastic coments and raised eyebrows from my missus I realised presure had built up inside forcing the bullet out.
Could have been quite nasty as it was red hot!
I really nearly cra***d my self.:toilet:
Dont do as I did,make sure nothing is sealing the end of anything you are heating.
18pounder

Last edited by a moderator:
Old patina in maybe a simple way

I have been told (I did not try it out yet) the following is an easy way to age a brass or copper item (as if it was a Roman item).
1. Put the item in a plastic comtainer, not touching the bottom of the container (and no metal toucing the object to be antiquated)
2. Spray with a hand held spray (as used to humidify delicate plants) a solution of water and salt (disolve the salt in hot water and let it cool down)
3. Repeat this every hour, or as regularly as possible for about 2 weeks (the ambient temperature should be about 25 degrees Celcius).

With the salt, water and the air from the spayed cloud, you will accelerate the normal oxidation of the metal.
It seems to be difficult to detect that there was an artificial aging, because no additional chemical reaction has been created.

This seems to be a process used to make real fake Roman statues or coins

As there is no cost involved, I believe it is worthwhile to try it out.

Regards

Luc