What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Butterfly bomb stamping query.

SG500

Premium Member
I've just been cleaning up a set of wings and found some stampings under the rust. Anyone know what the numbers are for? Is it the weight of the wings, or the number of the item as is often found on experimental shells?

Dave.

Attachments

• Butterfly 001.JPG
    Butterfly 001.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Butterfly 002.JPG
    Butterfly 002.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 23
Hi Dave,
My bet would be a batch or ,as you say,a number representing the experimental model?
I think there is a write up here in BOCN about these winglets being used on experimental SD2's for use on dropping them down onto bomber formations but the winglets design wasnt good enough to open and arm the fuze?

best

waff

Hi Dave i would think it would be steel manufactures batch or part numbers , it would be inpossible to find out unless there was someone alive who actually worked on them,i f there was a waffenamt stamp i have a partial list of those .

Thanks guys, I'll be very careful cleaning the other parts of it in the hope I'll find a waffenamt stamp.

Dave.