What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 pdr Pom-Pom HE with base fuze 40x157R

Quatermass

Does anybody have any details on this projectile?

Its a WW1 2 pdr HE with both a nose fuze (only the body of the 121 fuzes remains) and a Hotchkiss base fuze.

Remains of paint around the nose seem to indicate its an A.P. projectile.

Anybody know anything more?

BOCN_2_pdr_Hotch.jpg

Quatermass.

Hi quarter
This shell is a mystery indeed it cannot be a AP presence of the time fuze N121 equipping the 2 pdr pom pom
The markings of painting have to mean the other thing the width of ring is different AP.
Last point the presence of the base fuze Hotchkiss is bizarre.
I join you two pics of one 2 pdr presenting the same characteristics
Surprising no
Au revoir
Jean Paul

34o4js6.jpg

mr7eo4.jpg

Sorry for the second pic Tynpic makes what he wants.
It is enough to click above to see the real image..
mr7eo4.jpg

Hello Jean Paul,

My guess was that it a joint purpose anti aircraft and anti surface round.

The time fuze for aerial targets and the base fuze to give it a capacity against light vessels.

I still think the white & red band indicates a S.A.P. round, which seems to make sense.

Anybody got the Handbook or a list of Ammunition types?

Quatermass

as far as I am aware, nobody in the wider collecting world knows for sure what these rounds were for. They are not uncommon. I agree that the most likley answer is 'multi target' use, being able to be used in the AA role but equally against torpedo boats or ground targets without the need to change ammo types.

Who can help me on a needle plug (in red circle) .
Who can help me on a cutaway drawing of this projectile with base fuze.
Thanks in advance,
Regards, DJH

Attachments

• Fuze_Diagrams_RL_1917-c2d823c4082a4023889bd49c8e73152f.jpg
    Fuze_Diagrams_RL_1917-c2d823c4082a4023889bd49c8e73152f.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 84
Who can help me on a cutaway drawing of this cartridge with base fuze and fuze 121. I know there is one, but I cannot find it back. It shows the projectile filled with black powder.

Thanks in advance,

Regards, DJH