What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 Projectile ?

Investment

Hi,

Would any members be able to identify this type of projectile :dry:

I have attached a picture of it next to a 2-pound flat head projectile and 40mm bofor projectile, so as to give some size comparison.

It is made of brass and measures across the bottom approximately 3cm x 4cm.

The bottom is more oval shaped then being totally round.

The full length is approximately 7?8cm, but as you can see the brass is blown on all examples.

There is a screw hole (8mm) on the side, which has the top of a screw in it.

When viewing from the bottom it looks like the outer layer of brass is a jacket, which is over laying the internal section. If you look at the picture, it shows what looks like two small pinholes on either side of the internal section.

The sectioned (exploded) piece has what looks like two steel balls (1cm) enclosed in the cavity.

These examples were found on a WW2 training site.

I?m just wondering if some WW1 ammunition may have been used, as well.

Cheers,

Invest :)

Unidentified_Fuze__1_.jpg

I'm sure i've seen something like this on a forum ,possibly this one.
I recall it was some sort of shape charge/destructor? ..can't recall what for though...

If it didn't have the screw in the side, I would almost say it was a shaped charge cone slug. Most likely, it is a brass PD/SQ fuze for a larger size artillery projectile. The front end has the squeezed look from hitting the target, and the back end is torn apart due to the explosive shattering blast of the projectile it was attached to. That would also explaine why it looks like it was originally hollow. And it is most likely WWII vintage, but earlier WWII.

Last edited:
HI Investment,

Could you please post a close up of the "scratches" on the same side /angle as shown in your first post positioned between the 2pdr and 40mm?

They run vertically down the centre of the projectile as shown below....

Thanks

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• Unidentified_Fuze__2.jpg
    Unidentified_Fuze__2.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 32