What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2.75 lb warhead

SG500

Premium Member
Attached is a picture of a 2.75 lb warhead next to a tungsten core that has been taken out of an identical one.

It is marked as follows:

HEAD RKT 2 IN
A.P. 2.75 lb No 1 Mk 1
12 N/162

LOT 4 BN 11/64

What does the complete missile look like?
What was it used in?

Dave.

Attachments

• 2.75 lb missile 003.JPG
    2.75 lb missile 003.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 68
Nice find

Lovely item as usual SG500, it comes from a 2" inch Rocket, the long slender one with the fold out fins and tube launched (from a multi pod) but I cannot find any threads on them here.

They were used by both Air force and Navy I believe.
Navy played around with them as "Chaff" dispensers but project was abandoned in favour of 3" Inch rockets.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris, all I have to do now is find the rest of it.

Dave.

2 Inch Rockets

Hi SG500 just to put things straight, the Rocket Aircraft 2 Inch (R/C 2 IN) was mainly used for aircraft with a wing mounted "Pod" housing about 20 of these rockets.
Like the SNEB system the rockets fins "spring" out on exiting the firing tube and drop back then lock in the extended position, whereas the SNEB 68mm Rocket fins actually push forward under gas pressure.
These aircraft Rockets were available in Practice, High Explosive, Armour Piercing, Cannister shot, also a White Phosphorus smoke round was made but I dont think it ever saw service.

The AP head that you have needs another adaptor to enable it to screw into the rocket motor tube, it may even be that the Armourer unscrewed the PRF 942 (Plug Rep Fuze) from a Practice round and replace with the AP nose as the threads are the same-or, you are missing an adaptor !

I only have two part pictures of the rockets but it will give you a good idea of what it is you seek.

Attachments

• 2 in Rkt motor head 1.JPG
    2 in Rkt motor head 1.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 2 in Rkt Fins 1.JPG
    2 in Rkt Fins 1.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Thanks Chris, I'll have to have a good look around at Beltring.

Dave.

With that penetrator, this was obviously a KE round. (As opposed to a chemical penetrator, IE: Shaped charge) The only missile I know of that used a KE round was the CRV7, the wonderfully fast Canadian rocket. Also used by the RAF. No other aircraft launched rocket of (relatively) small caliber had the "umph" (technical term) to punch thru armor based on KE, alone. The CRV7 was - if memory serves - a 70mm (2.75") weapon. Can't explain the 2" designation. Perhaps something experimental?

Dave Mason

I shouldn't make posts after working "redeye flights" (LAX-IAD last night)...

Upon further reflection, I think the Soviet S-8 (S-8B and S-8BM?) and S-13 rockets also have KE (solid shot) warheads. Guess my original disclaimer should have been, "Of Western-built rockets currently in use..."

Embarrassed,

Dave

I shouldn't make posts after working "redeye flights" (LAX-IAD last night)...

Upon further reflection, I think the Soviet S-8 (S-8B and S-8BM?) and S-13 rockets also have KE (solid shot) warheads. Guess my original disclaimer should have been, "Of Western-built rockets currently in use..."

Embarrassed,

Dave

Oooooo don't be embarrassed - the forum is to share ideas. If I was worried about being embarrassed I wouldn't write anything. Thanks for the info.
Dave.