What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World War I Ordnance fuzes

shelldude

Here are the main artillery fuzes used by the United States during WWI. The three French design PD fuzes manufactured in the U.S. have left hand threads on the detonator cup vs. right hand threads on the French manufactured types. The fuzes in the first photograph L to R are:

Point detonating fuze, Mk III with centrifugal interrupter safety feature.
Point detonating fuze, Mk. IV
Point detonating fuze, Mk. V
Adapter and booster casing, Mk.III
75 second Antiaircraft Mechnical time fuze, Waltham Mark I - 1918.
23 second Antiaircraft combustion time fuze, Mark II, type "S" with point style closing cap.
23 second Antiaircraft combustion time fuse, Mark II, type "S" with pagoda style closing cap.
21 second Antiaircraft combustion time fuze, Mk. III A1

Second Photograph, L to R:

45 second Time/Percussion fuze, M-1907-M
31 second Time/Percussion fuze, M-1907-M
21 second Time/Percussin fuze, M-1907-M
Stokes Trench mortar fuze, Mark III
Base percussion fuze, minor caliber, Mark I (Baldwin type)
Base percussion fuze, minor caliber, Mark II ( Cartwright model)

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 190
  • P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 206
thanks

Thanks shelldude, Very informative and some nice fuzes. "Sharing is caring" Dano

Last edited:
WWI Ordnance fuzes

I just realized I reversed the identification of two of the PD fuzes in my first photograph. The second PD fuze is the Mk. V, while the third PD fuze is the Mk. IV. THANKS guys for the nice comments regarding the collection!

What a great collection of fuzes Shelldude, be carefull before you know it they will start multiplying and you will need another shelf or two.
Best regards Weasel.

Minor caliber fuses

This is the first time I have seen a name on the two body styles, is the MKll marked MKll, I have both if I recall they are both marked Ml , what is the reference for the names, both are FA ring safety types I believe. The short body seems to appear on the 1075 series projectiles and the longer on 1089 & 1090 series. Then what is the MKlll ? The MKlV is like the short bodied but has a detonator instead of the flat brass end with flash holes, for the MKll HE projectile, on that account I think they are scarse, mine is an empty body due to removing the detonator end, nothing remains then to keep the rest intack as the ends of these are crimped over. I will recheck my MKll, the image is unclear, these are difficult to get a clear image of. The MK1 projectile was not made after 1928 so likely the MKl & MKll fuses were also discontinued. The MKlV fuse would have lasted from during WW1 into WW2 or at whatever point the MKll HE projectile was discontinued as HE and used as a powder filled subcaliber projectile with the M38 fuse.

Attachments

• Fuses-e.jpg
    Fuses-e.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Fuses-b.jpg
    Fuses-b.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 36
  • fuse2.jpg
    fuse2.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 53
  • fuse3.jpg
    fuse3.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 33
WWI Ordnance fuzes

Hello Gspragge, The Mark I & Mark II minor caliber fuzes are pictured in the fantastic HANDBOOK OF ORDNANCE DATE - November 15, 1918. The two photographs are from that reference. Copies of the handbook are sometimes available on ebay. The base of my Mark II is also scratched and illegible. I'll check some of my other references regarding the Mark IV and possible Mark III. I'm assuming they are post WWI designs. Your M38 is NICE, all mine have been fired! Best regards, Randall

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 33
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 29
MKll Fuse

Very lightly stamped, but at 600 resolution and at 300 % I got this, reproduced here at 100 res. Maybe somebody has one that is clearer.

Attachments

• fuse5.jpg
    fuse5.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 30
DSCN5063-1.JPGDSCN5069-1.JPGDSCN5880-1.jpgDSCN4959-1.jpgDSCN5958-1.jpgDSCN4925.jpg
This is the mystery to me... These quite clearly are indicating Mark I as well but are quite different than the A.M. fuzes. T.S.P. (Toledo Screw Products) is the manufacturer here. The setback sleeve here is brass too but so is the firing pin. The firing pin on the A.M. fuzes is steel and is normally rusted away.

Last edited: