What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWI French Ordnance fuzes

shelldude

Since the United States army used the fabulous French 75mm as their primary field gun during WWI, here is a collection of their fuzes that the U.S. also used. The fuzes L to R are:

French 24/31 I.A.L. Model 1916 (Instantaneous elongated fuze of the Lefevre design).
French ? 75mm Time/Percussion fuze with original lead foil protective covering.
French 24/31 RY Model 1917 (Instantaneous detonating fuze of the Remondy design).
French 24/31 RYG Model 1918 (Instantaneous detonating fuze of the Remondy-Gaba design).
French ? post WWI PD fuze.
French 24/31 Model 1899-1908 percussion detonating fuze.
French 24/31 PR Model 1916 (Percussion fuze of the Peuch-Remondy design).
French 24/31 Model 1899-1915 percussion detonating fuze.
French 24/31 "A" Model of 1915-1916 Time & percussion fuze ("A" for Allonge or elongated).
French "A" Model with original lead foil protective covering.
French 24/31 LD Model 1917-1918 Time & percussion detonating fuze ( LD - Longue Distance or Long distance).
French LD Model with original lead foil protective covering.

Any help with the proper identification of the 2nd and 5th fuzes would be GREATLY appreciated.

Best regards - Randall

Attachments

• P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 145
Hello Dano, I think the WWI portion of my Ordnance collection is my favorite too. The Passion/Compassion website is fantastic but unfortunately the two fuzes I'm looking for are not described there. Best regards, Randall

wasn't sure

Hi Randall, I thought I saw similar fuzes in that passion-compassion site but I guess I was wrong. You're right, passion-compassion is an excellent fuze reference on WW1 fuzes. I mainly am interested in the German fuzes, but am now starting to lean toward all countries. Great hobby is it not? Dano

Mrfuze,

If you see this thread, can you properly identify the 2nd & 5th fuze in the photograph. Thanks Erhard in advance if you read this.

Best regards,

Randall

400px-WWI_shells.JPG
Since the United States army used the fabulous French 75mm as their primary field gun during WWI, here is a collection of their fuzes that the U.S. also used. The fuzes L to R are:

French ? 75mm Time/Percussion fuze with original lead foil protective covering.

French ? post WWI PD fuze.
Any help with the proper identification of the 2nd and 5th fuzes would be GREATLY appreciated.

Best regards - Randall

Hello Randall

I think that the second fuze is for the 75mm FB anti-aircraft Gun and the french 75mm long case shell . Post WW1 (about 1928/1930 years).

I also think that the 5th fuze is a post ww1 for a tank gun shell (but i must control )

regards from Paris

Last edited:
Hello Kz11gr,

THANK YOU for your assistance in identifying my two "mystery" fuzes. I really appreciate your help!

Best regards,

Randall