What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British colour schemes 1940s to early 50s

is this info any good,thought the BS numbers may meen something to you

003.jpg

Thanks for that Dave, I was just looking at the same manual on my pc, mine is dated 1964 and has a colour chart in it for BS 381 C. I can post it if anyone is intersted, Tony.

1964 BS 381 C Ammunition markings, colour chart, see note at bottom of pic. Tony.
ordnance_markings_1964_106.jpg

What an excellent thread...thanks Dave, Roller, Spotter, I learned alot if nobody else did.

btw, Ive found this cross reference for Grass Green (Humbrol no. 080 )...which shows the equivalent Grass Green colour as RAL 6025...there doesn't appear to be an equivalent BS specific colour....and I assume it isnt either light or dark green on Spotters list, but not sure.

The colour chart and examples really need to be in some kind of database ;-) ....bolo

Dave.....love those painted rounds, I think i own the one on the far left????....are the others around, hey, i can only ask :)

Rich

yeh right, you wish!!! Actually it isn't yours but yours may have the same stencils on - why bother to cut 2 sets when 1 set will do?! Dave

here's a couple more to drool over Rich. Note that you can make out the way the 2pdr Littlejohn crimps above and below the skirt - something to look out for when looking at 2pdr cases, even when fired you can still make out the different crimp arrangement.
se.jpg

Some great items there Dave, it seems like you have at least four things that I don't, time, space, patience and a steady hand ! :laugh: Tony.

Dave,
I agree with Tony, they're all fabulous rounds, and yes, I know I don't have the correct case for my littlejohn round, one will appear one day....I hope!
Since all my British rounds are repaints, How do you fancy a free beer or two, and you can tell me which are wrongly painted. :)

Cheers

the trick Tony is a very sharp scalpel and a smooth firm surface to cut on (I use MDF). Print out the letters on your PC (make sure the paper is totally dry before cutting) and take it slow. Little imperfections in the cutting don't actually show when you use the stencil. Make sure the paint is slightly tacky and dab on a couple of thin layers using a fine sponge.

The correct green for smoke upto 1951 was Light Brunswick Green 225 - BS 381C

Tim. G.

See attached. The colours are naturally dependent on your monitor. The numbers to the right are the HTML codes

Try again [file name=102-e4471f949a72518dcf2fdb3d8c70f222.doc size=30720]http://www.bocn.co.uk/images/fbfiles/files/102-e4471f949a72518dcf2fdb3d8c70f222.doc[/file]

Hello,
I've used a Vinyl sign writing machine to make Spray stencils for shells, These end up being proper Masks
I would be interested in what fonts people have used for Stenciling
Regards
Bart

Colour equivalents - bs381c to australian standard 2700s

Hi there,
Down here in Australia we have to scratch our heads when it comes to matching the corect colours when it comes to doing a paint job. Quite often we have to find the closest match possible. Unless you get a clued up person in the paint shop that can find an equivalents chart then you might as well bash your head against the wall.

Here are the Australian Standards equivalents for the British Standard 381C colours.
  • Y14 Golden Yellow - 356 Golden Yellow
  • X15 Orange - 557 Light Orange
  • X41 Buff - 359 Middle Buff
  • X54 Brown - 411 Middle Brown
  • X64 Chocolate - 499 Service Brown
  • R13 Signal Red - 537 Signal Red
  • R55 Claret - 540 Crimson
  • R63 Red Oxide - 446 Red Oxide
  • B14 Sapphire - 104 Azure Blue
  • T24 Blue Jade - 102 Turqioise Blue
  • G14 Moss Green -255 Light Brunswick Green
  • G23 Shamrock - 221 Brilliant Green
  • G24 Fern Green - 218 Grass Green
  • G33 Lettuce - 217 Sea Green
  • G63 Deep Bronze Green - 224 Deep Bronze Green
  • N42 Storm Grey - 631 Light Grey
  • N63 Pewter - 671 Middle Graphite
Hope this is of help to any Australian Residents intending to take up the brush.

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

1964 BS 381 C Ammunition markings, colour chart, see note at bottom of pic. Tony.
ordnance_markings_1964_106.jpg

Last edited: