What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for info on British 4.5 inch AA and HE

wemme

Hello all,
I am looking for information about the 4.5 inch Shells.
The attached shell was date stamped ~1957
In particular the Markings and shell diagrams.
also any info fuses used would be appreciated.
Regards
Bart
DSCF1592.JPG

Hi Wemme/Spotter,

I think the line drawings are for the B.L. 4.5" medium gun rather than the Q.F. Naval gun projectile that Wemme posted.

What are the stampings on the body?

Quatermass

Hello.
There are numerous stamps on the Driving band and a few on the body.
But "4.5IN HET No10" down the side. BTT and Lot Number.
In the base is "1956" "P Firing" "No8or9".
Currently cleaning the shell up so more may surface as i progress with it.

I believe but may be proven wrong to be a QF shell For the Mark 8 4.5" Navel gun from a type 12 series frigate.

Hi
The projectile is for the 4.5" navy Mk3-5 guns here is a photo of the round & the gun
MVC_020S.jpg

Hi Wemme This is the only info i have on the Vickers 4.5". Hope it helps weasel.
janes_14.jpg

Hi Wemme This is the only info i have on the Vickers 4.5". Hope it helps weasel.
janes_14-aa442f9b874f3799374b6b672b0a4106.jpg

Cheers, Whats the deal with the base bleed system.
I know its for more range but is it a rocket engine or inc charge?
Regards
Bart

There are a few systems for increasing range for large caliber projectiles, there is Base Bleed or Base burn as it is sometimes called and Rocket Assisted.
The base bleed system uses a unit mounted in the base of the shell containing a slow burning powder or similar substance vented through one or more holes in the base of the unit. When a large shell or any shell really is in flight it creates a low pressure area behind it that acts against the forward motion of the shell slowing it down, often called base drag. The action of a base bleed system is to fill that void or low pressure area with a volume of gas that raises the air pressure in that area resulting in a reduction in the action of base drag.
Hope that makes some sort of sense.

Weasel.

Harry, these are naval FA shells - did the Mk3-5 fire Mk 8 shells in the separate loading mode? See attached photo of a Mk 7 which I thought was more or less identical to the Mk 3 & 5 ie, no crimping cannelure. Dave
n7.jpg

Base Bleed-BB
Rocket Assisted Projectile-RAP
Extended Range Projectile-ERP
See the 155 mm Below, this is a typical example of BB/ERP used in conjunction with each other.
ERP_Projectile_BB.JPG