What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.5 Vickers Class D

rigby

Hi all,

can me anyone explain the difference between a .5 Vickers bullet with tombak-jacket/purple tip from 1937 and a nickled magnetic bullet from 1927?
I know the puple tip is the normal ball with steel core, this bullet is in the lower part magnetic and in the upper part non-magnetic. The nickled bullet is all over strong magnetic.
nic.JPG

The purple tipped mild steel cored round will have a lead tip filler so only the lower part of the projectile with the steel core will be magnetic. Assuming the other round has a ball headstamp it would appear to have a cupro-nickel clad steel envelope, which gives it a strong magnetic attraction all over.

1927 is very early for a Class D, the earliest of the eight I have is 1928, and none of them have a CN or CNCS envelope. I do have a 1935 incendiary with a GMCS envelope but all others are GM.

Regards
TonyE