What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

15 X 115 Gevelot plus links

SG500

Premium Member
Sorry to you French speakers out there, I couldn't find the little accent on my computer to go over the first "e" in the word Gevelot.

This is an experimental round developed in 1946-47 and was probably for an aircraft gun.

The case is made of brass and has an armour piercing bullet with a copper driving band. It came with either electric primer or percussion primer.

If anyone has any further information I'd be interested in seeing it.

All INERT, primer oiled, hole in the side etc.

Thanks.

Dave.

Attachments

• 15 X 113 Gevelot 1.JPG
    15 X 113 Gevelot 1.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 15 X 113 Gevelot 2.JPG
    15 X 113 Gevelot 2.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 15 X 113 Gevelot 3.JPG
    15 X 113 Gevelot 3.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 41
Hi Dave,
Don't worry about this little accent , We, sometimes are not sure on which side it must be turned !
Your CTG is the 15 m/m Hispano Suiza , Socit Franaise des Munitions ( Gvelot was created in 1950 ) was contacted in 1945 to manufacture the first lot ( july 1945) , factory dwg #15001 from HS. Case with a berdan primer ( identical with the HS 404 primer ), no HS.
SFM DWG 50530
In 1946 , reduction of the wall thickness, no HS
5/1947, addition of the hstp 4 S.F.M 47 I SFM DWG #50981 with the same berdan primer
at the same time introduction of a version with boxer type electric primer, nearly identical with the 20 HS 404. SFM DWG #P 1561, 1562
1948, introduction of the 9 m/m flat percussion primer ( toupille lisse de 9 m/m SFM 1948.) SFM DWG 51231
11/1949 experiments with toupille lisse de 7 m/m and also with modified berdan primer
HS DWG #132095
experiments stop mid 1950.
About the projectile , the first ones have a steel core with a tombac jacket and driving band . A second version was tested with steel jacket and lead inside tip ; third version maillechort plated steel jacket, lead tip .
This is what can be said about this cartridge but don't ask me anything about the gun !
H.A.N.D
phil

Thanks Phil, great information. What date would the one be from that I have?
The book I had said it was a Gvelot - is mine an earlier version - possibly 1946 because it has no headstamp?

Were there any different link variations?

Dave.

15 m/m HS

Your sample is either an early one 1945/1946 or the latest version 1949 with a modified percussion cap.
Every body is always mixing Gvelot and SFM in fact the factory is always the same ,The head office is also the same , it is just a question of money, business , and stock exchange !
Cheers
phil

15 m/m HS

I forgot , I believe the links were the same all along the experiments not manufactured by SFM . Just a guess ! don't they look like german ones !

That's great Phil thanks for the info and making it clear about the Gvelot confusion.
I'll be posting some photos of another expt French round soon, perhaps you'll be able to help out with that one too?
Dave.