What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Huge 80cm shell

Gege_berstellung.jpg

Many thanks for all the info Joerg.

The picture of the brown ground dug projectiles are the Panzergranate without the caps.

What are the black projectiles?

Regards
PC

hi StielGr,
the one in the front is a schwere Betongranate for the 60cm Mrser Karl without balistic cap. I think the other shell is an 80cm AP.
I read in a book that there was a Betongranate and a Panzergranate.

Hi Pranzergranate
First a big welcome to the forum. It is good to have another continental European member.
Thankyou for the info about the 60cm Mrser Karl projectile.

Looking at the posts again I notice I made a mistake. Joerg said the recovered Hillersleben projectiles were "practice"
It that a b AP projectile then?

PC

Last edited:
Thank you for the web links panzergranate.

Very interesting website for the 60cm Mrser.

Was there a case for the 60cm projectiles?

PC

Excellent info panzergranate.
Now I understand what the holes are for at the base of 60cm projectile.

There must be thousands of threads on BOCN which we've forgotten about or which newer members simply have never stumbled across.

I liked this one, I guess many of us secretly hope that we will one day have such an item in our collection :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Dave.

Books on the topic that I have (some also scanned to PDF):

"Eisenbahngeshtz DORA - Das grte Geschtz aller Zeiten" (Gerhard Taube, 1979. ISBN 3-87943-648-7 )
"Die Schwersten Steilfeuer-Geschtze 1914-1945 - Geheimwaffen 'Dicke Berta' und 'Karl'" (Gerhard Taube, 1981. ISBN 3-87943-811-0 )
"Allied-Axis - The Photo Journal of the Second World War Issue 09 - Karl-Gert 040 at the front"
"Panzer Tracts - Bertha's Big Brother - Karl Geraet (60cm) & (54cm) - The Super-Heavy Self-Propelled Mortar also known as Geraet 040-041 Nr.1 - VII" (Thomas L.Jentz, 2001. ISBN 0-9708407-2-1 )
"Panzer Tracts No.10 - Artillerie Selbstfahrlafetten - 15cm s.I.G.33 auf Pz.Kpfw.I (ohne Aufbau) to Karl-Geraet (54cm)" (Thomas L.Jentz, 2002. ISBN 0-9708407-5-6 )
"Waffen-Arsenal Band 016 - Deutsche Eisenbahngeschtze"
"Waffen-Arsenal Band 043 - Deutsche Schwere Mrser"
"Militaria 281 - Tank Power Vol.LIII - Gert 040-041 Karl Mrser" (ISBN 978-8-37219-281-3 )
"Heeresversuchsstelle Hillersleben" (Axel Turra, 1998. ISBN 978-3-89555-407-0 )

And some relevant scanned documents for download (note that these files will probably be removed at some point: PM me if a link is dead and you'd like a copy of the document):

ETO Ordnance Technical Intelligence Report No. 306 - German 32inch Railway Gun - 82cm 'Gustav' (or 'Dora') Geschutz (Eisenbahn) (1945) - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...' (or 'Dora') Geschutz (Eisenbahn) (1945).pdf
ETO Ordnance Technical Intelligence Report No. 328 - German 54cm and 60cm Karlgert Self-Propelled Mortars (1945) - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...m Karlgerät Self-Propelled Mortars (1945).pdf
Die deutsche Geheimwaffe 80cm (E) 'Dora' (complete article from 'Waffen Revue' Nos. 13-16 + 35) - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...eheimwaffe 80cm (E) 'Dora' (Waffen Revue).pdf
C.I.O.S. Report Item No.2, File No.XXVIII-2 - Artillery Experimental Range Hillersleben (1945) - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...ry Experimental Range Hillersleben (1945).pdf

Last edited:
I wonder how much it would cost to build a full sized one to the original specification.
Anyone got any thoughts on that.
50 million.......just a wild guess??
Dave.

It would probably just take 50 million to get the production just started. I don't know much about manufacturing but first you have the design phase and then you would need all the new foundry and milling machinery and the heavy lifting equipment and a production site for all this to take place.

The cost of the new RN aircraft carriers is 6.2 billion and they already have all the facilities so I would estimate a new Dora to about 500 million.

PC

Of course there is also no need for it in the modern age. The Dora is in the same catgory as battleships. Incredible pieces of machinery for their time, but now totally obsolete in terms of modern warfare.