What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.30 Inch Drill Mk II

relbut

A box of 30 Inch Drill Mk II. The cases are all ex US dated from 1928-42 mostly FA with DEN,RA,SL and LC (1942 dated), red wooden bullet, 4 holes and fired primer left in. The label shows a spurious maker, HP with a date 34 - I believe it should be Parker Hale (PH) and the date 43.

Attachments

• Box 30 Drill mk II.jpg
    Box 30 Drill mk II.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 30 Inch Drill Mk II.JPG
    30 Inch Drill Mk II.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 33

A very nice box. Although the rounds are very common, I have never seen a box label before.

I suspect you are correct about the maker and that it is a simple error when setting the date stamp, rather than a deliberately spurious maker.

Regards
TonyE

On checking my notes on this cartridge, I find that I had recorded that I seen other boxes with the maker's stamp of PH17 3 43, this would confirm what TonyE posted.
According to Chris Punnet's 30-06 there are also pink paper bundles string-tied printed as:
H.2287 10
CARTRIDGES
DRILL
.3 INCH (American)
(WITH WOODEN BULLETS)

30-06

Here is the range of British .300 (30-06) drill rounds.

L. to R.

D.I
D.II
D.IV
D.1942 Canadian Pattern
D.V
The far right is an Inspectors round from the 1960s that seems never to have been officially approved.

The D.III was only issued in India.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• 300.jpg
    300.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 8