What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2\" mortar markings

I never did thank you for pointing out that I should have called the fuze a pistol a while back.

Researching in later sources I found that even in the 1990s the Mortar 2" Smoke bomb drawing still showed the lifting strap. I knew that I had inspected a lot of bombs up to the 1980s which did not have the lifting strap. Digging further I found that the strap was discontinued on all production from 8th April 1962. There was also a Mk 4 bomb developed for use by airborne forces but this was discontinued or never adopted..

Just curious to find out what differed to the airborne m4 smoke to a standard smoke if it was developed.

I have found a reference to that. It is an internal difference. The nose has been strengthened by the inclusion of a steel disc as a baffle between the rivet heads and the inside of the nose. The lifting strap was still fitted. Fortunately the amendment removing it has just been crossed through rather than obliterated, which was so often the case.