What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German Luftwaffe Aircraft shells

Hi Daz, I have a few pic i can scan for you when i get home,yes still at work... Taken from pamphlets 1-15 of the British war time publication of enemy ammunition. A few good ones in there. Will also post a picture or two of my German cannon rounds. Nice lot of posts so good work fellow members.
Weasel.

It a 15mm incendary tracer, i wonder what the body colour is as the 2cm incendary rounds are pale blue anyone know if this is the same?
Weasel.

A scan from a war office handbook of enemy ammunition. Showing a selection of 2cm Solothurn projectiles amongst them the much wanted by myself AP/T.
solothurn.jpg

Cheers weasel mate these solothurn rounds were they the anti tank rifle rounds or the aircraft rounds or were both rounds the same with just different projectiles?

Hi Daz,
It would seem on comparison that the Solothurn projectiles are longer than the Oerikon or Mauser versions. and only the Solothurn projo's had a streamlined variant. Here is a picture showing the longer Solothurn projo compared to both of the others. Having said that it would apear that the AP projos are the same except for those fitted to steel cases as they do not have a grove for the neck of the case to be crimped into as a tolerance fit was used for these.
2cm_007.jpg

Yep thats the mk108 used in the me 262 the 30mm mk103 or was it 101 was the larger cased ground attack round used in the hs 129 aircraft

DAZ REICH wrote:
Cheers weasel mate these solothurn rounds were they the anti tank rifle rounds or the aircraft rounds or were both rounds the same with just different projectiles?

The Solothurn round was originally used in the Solothurn S18000 anti tank rifle and in the PanzerII, but it was also used in the Finnish lahti anti-tank rifle.

I have fired both, using Finnish 1938 AP ammo and after all this time the ammo was still excellent, accurate out to 1200 metres.

First the Solothurn. Note the freshly ejected case in mid air.
20mmSolo.jpg

Here is the Lahti. Again it is in recoil and the case is just leaving the ejection port.
20mmLahti.jpg

Definitely a fun way to spend an afternoon!
Regards
TonyE

Hi TonyE, Nice pictures, thats some recoil to deal with. Got side tracked myself and forgot to mention that the solothurn rounds were anti tank and anti air. And not flying guns. Well not that i know of...

Weasel.