What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German Luftwaffe Aircraft shells

DAZ REICH

nick.jpg

Hi has anyone got any good diagrams of these type rounds or piccies of their own german WW2 aircraft shells ,
I have seen EJ's inert ord ,quarry nildram and have the excellent flying guns of WW2 books but want more.
Cheers DAZ

Hi Daz,
I would suggest to check the original manuals, they show nice but old drawings.
Maybe at my list: http://www.lexpev.nl/manuals/germanyold.html
Some are bad scans as those came from Microfilm, but will show what you need.
Good hunt in the big manual forest!
Cheers, Lex

Hi Lexperv that is a fantastic site you have but I cannot find 20mm Aircraft shells on it only AA 20mm unless i'm looking in wrong place on there.
Cheers DAZ

If I'm not mistaking the shells are the same as for the AA and land-use, Difference is in the cases only, or? For as far as I knew even fuzes can be used for both uses, but I'm glad to hear otherwise, makes me smarter.
Maybe Madbomber can tell, he's really fond of dropped and air-used thingies.
Lex

They are different to the flak projectiles I think the ones I have are definetly different to my flakkers.

Try to get hold of Matthias Braun's handbook of German aircraft ammunition (in German), which has ballistics and drawings of all the loads in calibres 13mm to 5 cm. It was privately published back in the late 1970s (?). I bought my copy from him at an ECRA meeting back then.

Also there are the various British handbooks of enemy munitions, plus the CIOS' and BIOS', HECs and Unterloss reports. The British Library has copies of most of these. Ordnance Board Proceedings also are very good.

Regards
TonyE

Thanks mate I have seen some booklets on captured german ammuntion or something similiar on barbarrosabooks website and they were not expensive.

Hi Daz,

could your difference between aircraft and flak shells maybe be in the various types that exist anyway?
Can you find any of your variations in an army and/or airforce and/or navy-manual?
Can you explain the differences or maybe the sizes of the shells?
I the end I'm sure you'll get the exact sectional drawings that you want!

Small comment on the US manuals about captured (german) ammo (all prints): very interesting, everyone should have one, but please these are so full of mistakes!

Did you just wrote "Lexperv" ? How did you know that????

Oops on the spelling of your name i am very sorry was tired last night .
I have heard those manuals can be wrong too.
The length of the projectiles in my flak shells look longer than the equivalent aircraft ones .

Lex
Congratulations on such an excellent website.
To think I spent all that time trying to obtain the Wehrmachtsdienstvorschriften and there they are right under my nose :laugh: .

I'm still looking for colour copies of the H.Dv 481 series if anyone can help.

Regards
PC

it is a HE minen practice. There is also a very good and famous bookwriter named Wim de Hek he is dutch, wrote militairy cartridges part one to three. The drawings are very accurate and he also gives the coulour codes. from 5mm intill 37mm mosstly german In the past al three parts costed about 80 euros.If i see a set i can have a look around
cheers DM 53