What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm US

2pounder

Premium Member
Going through my few rounds to confirm the projectile is correct for the case, (some have come together from different sources or been put together by the uninformed me included) and would like confirmation on the following. I've been through previous posts and learnt quite a bit but...

I have 3 cases 37x136R marked B.S.C., 1st is PE&MCO lot625 4-17, 2nd is PE&MCO lot719 5-17, 3rd is TB&CCO lot299 4-17. I also have the two inert and empty fuzeless projectiles as photo, yellow one is marked B.S.C. 37M/M F LOT27 3-17, shinny one has on the band LOT12536-53 MKII PE&MCO. My question is can they go in the cases and be correct? if not what should they be in. Thanks. 2pr

and heres the photo

Oops to quick on the sending.
2pr

Attachments

• US 37mm.JPG
    US 37mm.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 41
The simple answer is-

Bsc projectiles go in the BSC cases, Lot 700 series I believe were loaded with French projectiles, solid, Mle 1888 & M1892. MKll goes in 37x92r U.S. case.

Also

I also suspect the 600 lot series were French loaded also. I have a post on these someplace or other---

Attachments

• BSCb.jpg
    BSCb.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 21
  • BSCc.jpg
    BSCc.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 17
  • BSCgun:a.jpg
    BSCgun:a.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 23
  • BSCscalesPg1.jpg
    BSCscalesPg1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 20
few more odds n ends

Few 37mm gun pics. Notice bandoleer of shells in pic 2. Dano

Attachments

• 37mm_2.jpg
    37mm_2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 37mm_mle16_bw1.jpg
    37mm_mle16_bw1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 32
  • us_french_37mm.jpg
    us_french_37mm.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
and more

French Information. I do not know which case lots were loaded with what ? I wish I did. more later

Attachments

• BSCscalesPg1.jpg
    BSCscalesPg1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 25
  • BSCscalesPg2.jpg
    BSCscalesPg2.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 22
  • BSCPg.jpg
    BSCPg.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 21
  • BSCFused3-17.jpg
    BSCFused3-17.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 33
  • BSCfuse.jpg
    BSCfuse.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Thanks for the thread

I have added two more lot numbers to the list. If any one has others not listed please let me know. I also have a list for 1918.

Can you tell me where these casings came from , Europe or North America.
Thanks

Attachments

• BSCprojectPage1.jpg
    BSCprojectPage1.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 19
37x136r Projectiles and Fuses

I took some new images. Basically they don't change very much from 1916 to 1918, only the fuse is altered. The French loaded rounds do not show up intact and those 600 & 700 lot series cases almost always show signs of being polished as they must have been sold off empty and polished up for souvineer sales after unloading. Many of the U.S. projectiles and cases shared the same fate, unpolished projectiles have machining marks over all, polished ones are smooth above the band. There is a distinct lack of 2-17 and 3-17 cases which lead me to think that 2-17 & 3-17 projectiles were loaded into 4-17 cases along with 4-17 projectiles. The bulk of the French orders are placed in 4-17 and 5-17, with the French loaded cases being the higher lots in 5-17. The 1916 rounds may have been included in enitial shipmants from existing stock. These are not U.S. Army issue during WW1 but after the War these guns ended up in the hands of the U.S. Army National Guard units, so perhaps some of the U.S. loaded ammunition was returned to the U.S. Other wise perhaps the 1918 lots were issued in the U.S. in the 1920s.

Attachments

• BSCprojectile1.jpg
    BSCprojectile1.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 26
  • BSCcases1.jpg
    BSCcases1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 29
  • BSCfuse1.jpg
    BSCfuse1.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 27
  • BSCfuse2.jpg
    BSCfuse2.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 21
French BSC

The three loadings and some head stamps, difficult to get a
decent image of these due to the faintness of some markings.

Attachments

• BSCfrenchLoaded.jpg
    BSCfrenchLoaded.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 36
  • BSCcases2.jpg
    BSCcases2.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 30
US 37mm

Many thanks Gspragge, excellent answer to my question, you must have done loads of research to get all the info shown. I now know loads more about the bits on my shelf but have to look for a 'new' projectile and 'new' case. Thanks again, any time I can help you I will.
2pr